Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heath shafted UALR out of a NIT bid

Started by Hoggysoprano, March 14, 2005, 08:03:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggysoprano

When we drooped out their attractiveness left with us.  To bad Heath was chicken to play.

Macgyver_Hawg

If the NIT only wanted UALR because of 1 attractive game with the Razorbacks then UALR didn't need to be in the NIT at all.
That's why the NIT is a joke.

outlawhogeywells

I would think that UALR shafted themselves.  If they were not good enough to get in on their own then so be it. 

Lando Calrissian

Awwww.

I feel so sorry for those two dozen people who actually give a crap about UALR basketball.

I know we as Hog fans have nothing to brag on, but at least the bid was our's to turn down.

Face it.  UALR is UALR.  THAT'S why they didn't get in.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

NuttsSacked

I'm a staunch Hog fan, but this "holier-than-thou" attitude leaves a lot to be desired. 

ASU and UALR fans have every right to down the Razorback athletic program considering Broyles REFUSES TO PLAY THEM!  Talk about a chicken shiit.

If Arkansas is so superior, toss the damn ball up and settle it on the court.   

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: NuttsSacked on March 14, 2005, 09:44:34 pm
I'm a staunch Hog fan, but this "holier-than-thou" attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

ASU and UALR fans have every right to down the Razorback athletic program considering Broyles REFUSES TO PLAY THEM! Talk about a chicken shiit.

Honestly, would you really be up for, season after season, an Ark/ASU game in either sport?  Nobody outside our state would care.  ASU has no tradition with Arkansas - going back before Broyles.  You just can't start these kind of rivals and hope it turns into an OSU/Oklahoma type rival.
The Egg bowl isn't even considered good for tv anymore.  If we want a good rival game - why not pick an SEC team?

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 14, 2005, 09:50:31 pm

ASU and UALR fans have every right to down the Razorback athletic program considering Broyles REFUSES TO PLAY THEM! Talk about a chicken shiit.

I uderstnad why he won't play them this year, we'd lose. Heck WestArk could probably whip this bunch.

Yeah, that's why went 12-0 against all the scrubs in our nonconference season.  Good call.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

NuttsSacked

I uderstnad why he won't play them this year, we'd lose. Heck WestArk could probably whip this bunch.

I'm not just talking about basketball...any sport.  Broyles will schedule LA Tech, LA Monroe, and LA Lafayette in football, but not ASU? 

Cowardice. 

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 14, 2005, 10:03:08 pm
Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 14, 2005, 10:00:41 pm

Yeah, that's why went 12-0 against all the scrubs in our nonconference season. Good call.

And that is why we went 6-12 against everyone else. Oh the Baseball team coached by Dave Van Horn is 16-1. Somehow I don't think VanHorn would of turned dow that NIT invitation. Of course he is a real coach.

So your point was bull.  Thanks for playing. 

Who cares what you think VH would do?

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 14, 2005, 10:05:52 pm
Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 14, 2005, 10:03:45 pm

Yeah, that's why went 12-0 against all the scrubs in our nonconference season. Good call.

And that is why we went 6-12 against everyone else. Oh the Baseball team coached by Dave Van Horn is 16-1. Somehow I don't think VanHorn would of turned dow that NIT invitation. Of course he is a real coach.

So your point was bovine hockey. Thanks for playing.

A lot more people than give a crap if Heath is still here next year. Why don't you find him a job at a local Junior High, that is more his speed. Heath is not half the coach even that Nutt is, and he wouldn't make a pimple on VanHorn's rear.

Blah blah blah.  Your original point was bull.  I don't care about your opinions on the rest. 

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 14, 2005, 10:07:45 pm
Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 14, 2005, 10:06:31 pm
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 14, 2005, 10:05:52 pm
Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 14, 2005, 10:03:45 pm

So your point was bovine hockey. Thanks for playing.

A lot more people than give a crap if Heath is still here next year. Why don't you find him a job at a local Junior High, that is more his speed. Heath is not half the coach even that Nutt is, and he wouldn't make a pimple on VanHorn's rear.

Blah blah blah. Your original point was bovine hockey. I don't care about your opinions on the rest.

Heath is about as good a coach as you are a lawyer.

Weak.  Try again. 

cmakrzrbak

I was thinking the same thing, but when I really broke it down; UALR lost to Fla Int. TWICE.  TWICE. The last was to end their season.  We would dismantle that team (UALR or FLA Int.) whether half our guys had their panties in a bunch or not.  If anyone out there actually thinks that we would have lost our first round NIT game, please step up and let your ignorance inspire the crowd.  Heath is a puss for quitting, but hopefully he will right the ship for a winning conference season next year.  If not, aloha Coach Heath.  He's still got my support though, cause I want to see anyone and anything attached to the Razorbacks to succeed.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

NuttsSacked

Quote from: NuttsSacked on March 14, 2005, 10:01:34 pm

I'm not just talking about basketball...any sport. Broyles will schedule LA Tech, LA Monroe, and LA Lafayette in football, but not ASU?

Cowardice.

What's your response to this, Fatty?

Macgyver_Hawg

First of all there are a lot of teams that could make a game for us right now in the NIT - and we'd probably lose the way we've played lately.

But the only way I want to play instate schools is if there's something in it for Arkansas.  Right now this rival would be so freakin' lopsided it's not funny.  The day Arkansas can play a top 25 ranked ASU to knock them off, I'm all for it.

NuttsSacked

Quote from: MacGyver_Hawg on March 14, 2005, 10:12:18 pm
First of all there are a lot of teams that could make a game for us right now in the NIT - and we'd probably lose the way we've played lately.

But the only way I want to play instate schools is if there's something in it for Arkansas. Right now this rival would be so freakin' lopsided it's not funny. The day Arkansas can play a top 25 ranked ASU to knock them off, I'm all for it.

What's in it for Arkansas when they stomp a hole in LA Monroe?  Why did Broyles offer to give ULM home field at WAR MEMORIAL STADIUM every other year?  If a "rent a win" is necessary, why wasn't ASU scheduled?

El Dog Hog

How long has van horn been a head coach? and then lets compare how long stan has. Wow that was simple fun and easy. Maybe even hoggysoprano got it.... but im not holding my breath. Apples and oranges once again... but its always that way with you. If you cant get rid of coach heath or coach nutt, then you cant sleep well. Go put on your texas hat and wait for nevada to beat them in the first round.

Rack em

Macgyver_Hawg

March 14, 2005, 10:29:51 pm #16 Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 10:31:32 pm by MacGyver_Hawg
Quote from: NuttsSacked on March 14, 2005, 10:17:44 pm
Quote from: MacGyver_Hawg on March 14, 2005, 10:12:18 pm

But the only way I want to play instate schools is if there's something in it for Arkansas. Right now this rival would be so freakin' lopsided it's not funny. The day Arkansas can play a top 25 ranked ASU to knock them off, I'm all for it.

What's in it for Arkansas when they stomp a hole in LA Monroe? Why did Broyles offer to give ULM home field at WAR MEMORIAL STADIUM every other year? If a "rent a win" is necessary, why wasn't ASU scheduled?

Absolutely nothing, but LA Monroe's biggest game of the year to them is not the Arkansas game and they wouldn't consider us their RIVAL ever.  I'm not blind to think that ASU is a rent a win every single year when they'd have our game circled all season.  I personally don't want to circle ASU on the calendar at all because I don't ever circle LA Monroe.

We'd actually be going from Texas to ASU as rivals?

Pragmatic PiG

March 14, 2005, 11:03:27 pm #17 Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 11:05:11 pm by Pragmatic PiG
Quote from: cmakrzrbak on March 14, 2005, 10:10:13 pm
I was thinking the same thing, but when I really broke it down; UALR lost to Fla Int. TWICE.  TWICE. The last was to end their season.  We would dismantle that team (UALR or FLA Int.) whether half our guys had their panties in a bunch or not.  If anyone out there actually thinks that we would have lost our first round NIT game, please step up and let your ignorance inspire the crowd. 

I agree with you, its like its always a conspiracy orchestrated by JGB, its not that they suck....

sheesh, this thread belongs on a UALR board

I'd say playing 3 non div 1 schools, losing to FIU 2 out of 3 games including early in the sun belt T when they needed to do well, lose to ark st on their home floor, lose to bowling green in the bracket buster game (BG ends up going nowhere), only 15 div 1 wins, etc hurt their chances some

weevilhogg

I'm not convinced that any Arkansas college basketball team was going to be invited to the NIT -- Arkansas was much more qualified than ASU or UALR.

Terribly sad, but terribly true.
Oh my!

Lando Calrissian

Here's a wacky idea:  How about UALR going out and making a name for itself by it's OWN merit, insteading riding the U of A's coattails.

UALR didn't make the NIT because they're UALR, NOT because the U of A turned it down.

Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: MacGyver_Hawg on March 14, 2005, 10:12:18 pmBut the only way I want to play instate schools is if there's something in it for Arkansas. Right now this rival would be so freakin' lopsided it's not funny. The day Arkansas can play a top 25 ranked ASU to knock them off, I'm all for it.

Sad thing is, with the way the matchup plays out now in the WNIT, Arkansas State would probably be the favorite over Arkansas, and would beat the Lady Backs.

Even if Arkansas does cause the Lady Indians matchup problems and all, I'm not looking forward to that game, if it happens in a week or so.  ASU has better coaching, and the athletes are...well, probably about even.

ASU's women's basketball team is flat out better than the Lady Razorbacks.  If we get past UNLV, I'd like to eat my words, but I don't think I'll have to.

PerryHog

March 15, 2005, 06:40:27 am #21 Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 06:46:12 am by PerryHog
Decilining the nit was duckin'. No doubt. What's worse, as some have mentioned, we really should beat ualr at nam. Talk about lack of confidence in the program. Wasn't that the reason nolan was fired? What's the difference?

Whoever really made the decision to decline, ought to be fired. If the powers that be really have so little faith in the coach, why in hell is stan still here?

I understand the reasons we don't play in the reg season. Nothing to gain, everything to lose. But we lost anyway by ducking this year. Gave all the other instate schools message board material for years to come.

And this racial thing. I had thought nolan full of crap about that. But we sure look guiltier, and guiltier. If there really isn't any racism on the hill, let's prove it by firing this horrible coach. Then we can hire a GOOD coach, black white or purple, we just want a winner. No one really cares what color the coach is, and if a few do, frick 'em. I don't care if the coach is a flamin' homo who wears a dress to the games and gives us crotch shots of his pink thong from the bench,....urgh,... just win honey!

It's as if arkansas doesn't really think there is another good black coach out there or something. Condescending as all hell.

I believe all this crap can be laid at the feet of john white. He's the one protecting heath.

Call Mr. Sow

If anyone out there actually thinks that we would have lost our first round NIT game, please step up and let your ignorance inspire the crowd. Heath is a puss for quitting, but hopefully he will right the ship for a winning conference season next year. If not, aloha Coach Heath. He's still got my support though, cause I want to see anyone and anything attached to the Razorbacks to succeed.

OK, I'll let my ignorance inspire the crowd.  The Hogs lost to Auburn and to TN in the last two games of the season.  Both were blowout losses.  Both teams were not good enough to get invitations to the NIT.  Now why do you think the Hogs wouldn't have lost their first round game?

And your measure of success is a winning conference record next season.  9-7 is good enough for you?  After four seasons?  These low standards are what is killing this program. 

Fatty McGee

Quote from: NuttsSacked on March 14, 2005, 10:11:03 pm
Quote from: NuttsSacked on March 14, 2005, 10:01:34 pm

I'm not just talking about basketball...any sport. Broyles will schedule LA Tech, LA Monroe, and LA Lafayette in football, but not ASU?

Cowardice.

What's your response to this, Fatty?

I don't care one way or the other.  I can see both sides of it.

PIGG

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on March 15, 2005, 09:54:48 am
If anyone out there actually thinks that we would have lost our first round NIT game, please step up and let your ignorance inspire the crowd. Heath is a puss for quitting, but hopefully he will right the ship for a winning conference season next year. If not, aloha Coach Heath. He's still got my support though, cause I want to see anyone and anything attached to the Razorbacks to succeed.

OK, I'll let my ignorance inspire the crowd. The Hogs lost to Auburn and to TN in the last two games of the season. Both were blowout losses. Both teams were not good enough to get invitations to the NIT. Now why do you think the Hogs wouldn't have lost their first round game?

And your measure of success is a winning conference record next season. 9-7 is good enough for you? After four seasons? These low standards are what is killing this program.

It's a smart decision to stay out of the NIT, not because we would have lost, but because of our play the past few games.  It's very likely that we would have lost sometime in the early rounds of the NIT.  Yes, we rocked the worlds of our pre-conference patsies, but that was when we were winning.  After all of our close losses, we've gone out and laid eggs.  At South Carolina, at Vandy, at Auburn, and even against a Tennessee team who's not that good.  Mike made a good point on the radio that even Brewer and Townes have become "average joes" over the past few games.  We're good, but we have serious confidence problems, and Heath simply wanted to put this season to sleep before another mistake is made.  It's time for evaluation, and I say, give him all the time he needs.
Let's drink till we can't feel feelings anymore!
- Peter Griffin

Flatfoot

UALR lost the NIT bid because of sheer politics.  UALR beat W. Kentucky twice and the Hilltoppers are in.  Problems, They're attendance at games is pretty poor.   RPI was in the 90's so, It wasn't because of the Hogs, but just not being well supported in Little Rock.   
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

V B Porkers

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: PIGG on March 15, 2005, 10:56:31 am
It's a smart decision to stay out of the NIT, not because we would have lost, but because of our play the past few games. It's very likely that we would have lost sometime in the early rounds of the NIT. Yes, we rocked the worlds of our pre-conference patsies, but that was when we were winning. After all of our close losses, we've gone out and laid eggs. At South Carolina, at Vandy, at Auburn, and even against a Tennessee team who's not that good. Mike made a good point on the radio that even Brewer and Townes have become "average joes" over the past few games. We're good, but we have serious confidence problems, and Heath simply wanted to put this season to sleep before another mistake is made. It's time for evaluation, and I say, give him all the time he needs.

First off, welcome to the board, newb.

I think the damage done to our program by quitting publicly like that is much worse than if we'd just lost an extra game.  Do you agree with that?

PIGG

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on March 15, 2005, 01:00:46 pm
It's a smart decision to stay out of the NIT, not because we would have lost, but because of our play the past few games. It's very likely that we would have lost sometime in the early rounds of the NIT. Yes, we rocked the worlds of our pre-conference patsies, but that was when we were winning. After all of our close losses, we've gone out and laid eggs. At South Carolina, at Vandy, at Auburn, and even against a Tennessee team who's not that good. Mike made a good point on the radio that even Brewer and Townes have become "average joes" over the past few games. We're good, but we have serious confidence problems, and Heath simply wanted to put this season to sleep before another mistake is made. It's time for evaluation, and I say, give him all the time he needs.

I think the damage done to our program by quitting publicly like that is much worse than if we'd just lost an extra game. Do you agree with that?

It depends on how you look at it.  Some may see it as quitting publicly or giving in.  Others may see it just as declining a tournament.  I would rather be the team who chose not to participate in the NIT for our own best interests instead of the SEC team who lost to a mid-major program, perhaps even in the Bud.
- Peter Griffin

ThunderHog

Quote from: PIGG on March 15, 2005, 02:49:40 pm

I think the damage done to our program by quitting publicly like that is much worse than if we'd just lost an extra game. Do you agree with that?

It depends on how you look at it. Some may see it as quitting publicly or giving in. Others may see it just as declining a tournament. I would rather be the team who chose not to participate in the NIT for our own best interests instead of the SEC team who lost to a mid-major program, perhaps even in the Bud.

My concern is how another coach will use it in recruiting.  For example, John Calipari and Stan Heath may be trying to recruit the same guy.  Who wins.  I think Cal will do a better job of explaining why he wanted to continue play in the NIT versus Heath in explaining why he did not want to play anymore games.

tophawg19

AT THIS point 9 \7 sounds damn good i'm expecting 5\11 with heath coaching. maybe 16\15 overall .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Kodiak

March 15, 2005, 06:58:32 pm #31 Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 07:12:19 pm by Kodiak
I am may be wrong but Fatty & Hoggy seem to really enjoy fussing with each other.   ;)
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: ThunderHog on March 15, 2005, 03:52:40 pm

It depends on how you look at it. Some may see it as quitting publicly or giving in. Others may see it just as declining a tournament. I would rather be the team who chose not to participate in the NIT for our own best interests instead of the SEC team who lost to a mid-major program, perhaps even in the Bud.

My concern is how another coach will use it in recruiting. For example, John Calipari and Stan Heath may be trying to recruit the same guy. Who wins. I think Cal will do a better job of explaining why he wanted to continue play in the NIT versus Heath in explaining why he did not want to play anymore games.

If Heath has shown one thing, it's that adverse circumstances do not hinder his recruiting.

And I think everyone overestimates the legs on this story.  It will be forgotten by the start of the play in game, if it hasn't been already.

CusefaninAR

They may not hinder his recruiting, but they certainly appear to hinder his coaching. 

Fatty McGee

Quote from: CusefaninAR on March 15, 2005, 08:48:12 pm
They may not hinder his recruiting, but they certainly appear to hinder his coaching.

Skipping the NIT? 

CusefaninAR

pioneerhog

Why hasn't this been moved to the fueds thread yet.

CusefaninAR

And its ducking, not skipping the NIT.

PIGG

Quote from: ThunderHog on March 15, 2005, 03:52:40 pm

My concern is how another coach will use it in recruiting. For example, John Calipari and Stan Heath may be trying to recruit the same guy. Who wins. I think Cal will do a better job of explaining why he wanted to continue play in the NIT versus Heath in explaining why he did not want to play anymore games.

Heath really doesn't have to explain anything.  I think he had a good enough reason to decline the NIT.
- Peter Griffin

CusefaninAR

PIGG

Quote from: CusefaninAR on March 15, 2005, 09:29:56 pm
Tell that to Mike Jones.

I admit that it's very sad what happened to Mike Jones.  He didn't get many opportunities during his career here, but hopefully he understands that this is a team effort, and despite his attempts at rallying the team, we failed.  Would one more game really be worth it?
- Peter Griffin

pioneerhog

Quote from: PIGG on March 15, 2005, 09:39:06 pm
Quote from: CusefaninAR on March 15, 2005, 09:29:56 pm
Tell that to Mike Jones.

I admit that it's very sad what happened to Mike Jones. He didn't get many opportunities during his career here, but hopefully he understands that this is a team effort, and despite his attempts at rallying the team, we failed. Would one more game really be worth it?
It might have meant alot to Mike.

CusefaninAR

If you played for the Hogs, and you had one (or more) games left to play before you hung 'em up for good, would it be worth it to you?

Ft.SmithHog

Im glad SH turned down the nit..  i dont want recruits to think NIT when they hear arkansas..

pioneerhog

Quote from: Ft.SmithHog on March 15, 2005, 10:20:14 pm
Im glad SH turned down the nit.. i dont want recruits to think NIT when they hear arkansas..
Would you prefer them to think of us as cowards, the NIT might not be the NCAAT but at least it is a post season tourney.

pioneerhog

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 15, 2005, 10:22:59 pm
Quote from: pioneerhog on March 15, 2005, 10:21:50 pm
Quote from: Ft.SmithHog on March 15, 2005, 10:20:14 pm
Im glad SH turned down the nit.. i dont want recruits to think NIT when they hear arkansas..
Would you prefer them to think of us as cowards, the NIT might not be the NCAAT but at least it is a post season tourney.

I really don't want to know what they are thinking, it might be embarssing.
That is very true.

Theolesnort

Yeah, but it ain't called the Not Interested Tournament for nothing.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Kevin

brewer, townes. outside those two not sure how good a recruiter he is.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

CusefaninAR

The NIT seemed to be good enough for everyone before the MSU, Auburn, and UT games.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: CusefaninAR on March 15, 2005, 09:41:47 pm
If you played for the Hogs, and you had one (or more) games left to play before you hung 'em up for good, would it be worth it to you?

It's not Mike's decision.  Schools turn down bowl bids, do you think the seniors on those teams might want another game?