Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turning down NIT, how common ?

Started by mikeirwin, March 14, 2005, 12:24:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

March 14, 2005, 12:24:38 pm Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 12:30:20 pm by mikeirwin
Well, the NIT people don't want to say how often they get turned down. I can't blame them. Makes them look bad. Sort of like asking a restaurant owner how often his customers walk out and refuse to pay because they think the food sucks.
Checking with some of my media colleagues, the consensus seems to be that it's rare for a school to publicly turn down an NIT bid. It's more common for it to be done privately.
For instance, plans were already underway last week on The Hill to host a first round game. This indicates that there was some sort of tentative agreement with the NIT people that Arkansas would be invited and would host if it didn't qualify for the NCAA tournament.
What this says to me is that a school will often know beforehand if the NIT wants them. In this situation it would be easy to just say, "No thanks," if the school is not interested. The fans would not know unless the school revealed it publicly.
So for those of you who are skeptical about my original point that turning down the NIT "happens a lot" I will say, poor choice of words on my part. "A lot" is too vague. What does "a lot" mean ? Once a year ? Once every other year ? Five times a year ?
Here's how I feel about the NIT. It is obviously NOT the big dance. What school would turn the NCAA down ? But we know that the NIT does get turned down. We just don't know how often.
Last year Susie Gardner admitted that she rejected the WNIT. Stan just did the same thing to the NIT. Given a choice I'm sure the WNIT and the NIT would just as soon these rejections be kept private.
Some of you think the NIT is a fine way to keep a season going. I do ONLY if there is a good reason to believe an appearance in the NIT will benefit the team in question.
As a coach (obviously I'm not one) I would reject the NIT in most situations. But that just me and I'm not trying to convince any of you that it's a good idea.
Bottom line, for my money the NIT is low rent. It's the basketball equivalent of going to a crummy bowl game like the infamous and totally depressing Vegas Bowl.
So to whomever at Arkansas made the decision to reject the NIT I offer, in the immortal words of Larry Shank a heartfelt, "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

mikeirwin

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 14, 2005, 12:28:29 pm
Didn't the U of A send out ticket applicatiojns for the NIT about three weeks ago? It seems that they planned to go to the NIT, until Stans failure as a coach caused the team to go in the tank.
You are correct. Again the real question is who made the decision to reject the bid ? So far I keep hearing from those close to the decision that it was Heath. I remain skeptical.

Call Mr. Sow

HighOnHogs

I would have liked to see them go just so they could possibly do SOMETHING positive before next season.  I don't see how it could get any worse.  Nothing to look forward to now next season if they continue where they left off.

Phat Hawg

CusefaninAR

Thanks for checking, Mike...this just goes to show that you are the man when it comes to sports in NWA.

hawkeyefan17

I think Al McGuire turned down an NCAA tournament invitation for his Marquette Warrriors team one year because he felt the committee stacked the deck against his team.

CusefaninAR

Porquemada

After the "we don't want to be invited" news conference Friday, am I the only one who was hoping the NIT would fire back with "We weren't going to invite you guys anyway, but thanks for thinking about us." or "Don't flatter yourselves. We weren't extending you an invitation." >:(

HogInMemphis

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 14, 2005, 12:24:38 pm
Well, the NIT people don't want to say how often they get turned down. I can't blame them. Makes them look bad. Sort of like asking a restaurant owner how often his customers walk out and refuse to pay because they think the food sucks.
Checking with some of my media colleagues, the consensus seems to be that it's rare for a school to publicly turn down an NIT bid. It's more common for it to be done privately.
For instance, plans were already underway last week on The Hill to host a first round game. This indicates that there was some sort of tentative agreement with the NIT people that Arkansas would be invited and would host if it didn't qualify for the NCAA tournament.
What this says to me is that a school will often know beforehand if the NIT wants them. In this situation it would be easy to just say, "No thanks," if the school is not interested. The fans would not know unless the school revealed it publicly.
So for those of you who are skeptical about my original point that turning down the NIT "happens a lot" I will say, poor choice of words on my part. "A lot" is too vague. What does "a lot" mean ? Once a year ? Once every other year ? Five times a year ?
Here's how I feel about the NIT. It is obviously NOT the big dance. What school would turn the NCAA down ? But we know that the NIT does get turned down. We just don't know how often.
Last year Susie Gardner admitted that she rejected the WNIT. Stan just did the same thing to the NIT. Given a choice I'm sure the WNIT and the NIT would just as soon these rejections be kept private.
Some of you think the NIT is a fine way to keep a season going. I do ONLY if there is a good reason to believe an appearance in the NIT will benefit the team in question.
As a coach (obviously I'm not one) I would reject the NIT in most situations. But that just me and I'm not trying to convince any of you that it's a good idea.
Bottom line, for my money the NIT is low rent. It's the basketball equivalent of going to a crummy bowl game like the infamous and totally depressing Vegas Bowl.
So to whomever at Arkansas made the decision to reject the NIT I offer, in the immortal words of Larry Shank a heartfelt, "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

I could not possibly agree more than I do with you.