Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who will be DC??????

Started by Mark_Freeman, December 06, 2017, 12:09:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamGrowsOnTrees

I would love it to be Chris Klieman just to see all the heads explode here.

Other than me enjoying that I'd feel more relaxed with Morris as HC.

Klieman is one of the best coaches in this era.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 08, 2017, 04:00:20 pm
The same way he moved from Bill Snyder and his alma mater K-State to work with his friend Bob Stoops. Maybe he'd like to work with Morris again, and move closer to home, and make $2.5M.

Moving from Kansas State to OK is a massive promotion. That's not what he'd be doing here.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: HOGS82 on December 08, 2017, 04:01:49 pm
Venables was a household name long before he arrived at Clemson.

Nothing like he is now.

Hugo Bezdek

December 08, 2017, 04:09:16 pm #103 Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:21:59 pm by Hugo Bezdek
Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 08, 2017, 04:05:07 pm
Moving from Kansas State to OK is a massive promotion. That's not what he'd be doing here.

K-State went 11-1 in 1999 and in the National title hunt when Venables left. OU was at the end of a decade of suck.

In fact there's a lot of similarity between Arkansas and both of his previous moves so far. OU and Clemson both were historically strong programs that were struggling when he went there.

Dominicanhog

hogfansince79

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 08, 2017, 04:24:49 pm
Chad Glasgow TCU...

I agree.  I posted this in another thread yesterday...

SMU has played them the last two years, so CCM is familiar with him.

2017 TCU defensive stats...

4th    -  r yds/g       -  99.8
12th  -  pts/g         -  17.6
19th  -  yds/g         -  329
9th    -  sacks         -  41 (3.15 avg)
32nd  -  tacklefl/g     -  6.8
2nd   -  redzonedef  -  .645
63rd  -  turnovers    -  18
7th    -  def td        -   4
8th    -  3rd dn def  -  .297
45th  -  4th dn def  -  .458
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

The_Bionic_Pig

After reviewing the resumes of potential Defensive Coordinator's - Gene Chizik in his last post as a DC at Auburn hired some Superstar recruiters not to mention having a stellar D.

He would easily load the Defensive side of the ball with elite talent.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

JOKERHOG

Reggie herring.  He can call Morris high school
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 08, 2017, 04:58:28 pm
After reviewing the resumes of potential Defensive Coordinator's - Gene Chizik in his last post as a DC at Auburn hired some Superstar recruiters not to mention having a stellar D.

He would easily load the Defensive side of the ball with elite talent.

I've wondered about his ability without a bag man..

ishankem

I don't know who it will be, but he better deliver a top one. He promised the team the best, so that is a big promise. If he doesn't deliver,

Deep Shoat

I just hope it's someone worthy of the six question mark headline.

Did you post it the same way on River Valley Leader, Mark?
All Gas, No Brakes!

HotlantaHog

Posted on another thread but I think it may end up being Kevin Steele.

Kevin Steele overlapped with Morris at Clemson, has coached at Alabama under Saban and Clemson under Dabo. Now is Auburn's DC. Has done a great job at Auburn, but if he has any friction with Malzahn or any concerns at Auburn (reminder it looked like the staff was going to get fired last year early on), he might be interested in moving.

He's coached in Louisiana, Florida, Oklahoma and Texas -- some or all of which would be fertile areas for recruiting for Arkansas. He knows Morris and the kind of culture he is trying to build. This seems like it would be a very strong hire -- and at least an outside possibility.

RedyorNot

Unfortunately, we probably won't know until the Bama and A&M DC situations are sorted out. I'd love to have Chavis, his philosophy of never having enough defensive speed on the field aligns perfectly with Morris. At 61 though, he has said A&M was probably his last stop.

RedyorNot

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 11, 2017, 08:06:23 am

Kevin Steele overlapped with Morris at Clemson, has coached at Alabama under Saban and Clemson under Dabo. Now is Auburn's DC. Has done a great job at Auburn, but if he has any friction with Malzahn or any concerns at Auburn (reminder it looked like the staff was going to get fired last year early on), he might be interested in moving.

He's coached in Louisiana, Florida, Oklahoma and Texas -- some or all of which would be fertile areas for recruiting for Arkansas. He knows Morris and the kind of culture he is trying to build. This seems like it would be a very strong hire -- and at least an outside possibility.

Does Aubbie have a non-compete for coordinators like we did?

King Kong

Quote from: RedyorNot on December 11, 2017, 08:42:25 am
Does Aubbie have a non-compete for coordinators like we did?

They don't.

However Steele is related to the Asst AD at Auburn and Steele has had health issues. I don't expect him to be a candidate.

Also Steele gave up 70 in their last game together

The OTR

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 06, 2017, 12:20:49 pm
i should start a thread swearing it's not Venables.

Yeah you should.  You haven't been right about anything so far.

Kevin

since there is this delay in naming a dc, I would say it is one that is in a bowl, probably a big time bowl
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rljjr

The longer this goes without a named DC the more curious I become.

WHO:
Is it somebody still coaching a CF Playoff team who doesn't want it out?
Is it somebody still coaching a CF NY Six Bowl Team who doesn't want it out?
Is it an NFL DC with a team still in playoff contention?

RECRUITS:
We've seen a glimpse into what they're publicly saying, but what, if anything, are they keeping secret?
How do you convince a guy like Ladarius Bishop to change (unless he wanted to come here all along) without giving him details?

TEAM:
Do they know?
What is their attitude toward waiting?

WHEN:
Will it be before the early signing date?
How soon after the NY6 and CFP games?
How will waiting affect this year's recruiting? Does it matter?
Is there a point in which the fans lose patience? Does it matter?

There are a million more questions, but I will just have to wait. #HammerDown #WPS

a0ashle

Quote from: rljjr on December 11, 2017, 09:15:14 am
The longer this goes without a named DC the more curious I become.

WHO:
Is it somebody still coaching a CF Playoff team who doesn't want it out?
Is it somebody still coaching a CF NY Six Bowl Team who doesn't want it out?
Is it an NFL DC with a team still in playoff contention?

I would have to think this wouldn't be high stakes enough to delay a DC or position coach from leaving. I can see the others though. Odds are it's some 4th reason we are oblivious to.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: King Kong on December 08, 2017, 03:59:07 pm
Wasn't that long ago Jeremy Pruitt was a HC DC
But is is less long ago that he was a DC at Bama.  If we take a DC out of high school, that hire will and should be considered a failure.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 08, 2017, 04:24:49 pm
Chad Glasgow TCU...
I think this would be a good hire but I wonder how much is him and how much is Patterson.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

GuvHog

Quote from: a0ashle on December 11, 2017, 09:39:22 am
I would have to think this wouldn’t be high stakes enough to delay a DC or position coach from leaving. I can see the others though. Odds are it’s some 4th reason we are oblivious to.

I disagree. The early signing period is less than 2 weeks way. Any head coach worth his salt will want to have his DC on the job and recruiting before that signing period so the Defensive recruits will know who their DC is UNLESS the DC he's hired is such a high caliber DC that he's willing to wait till January for him to join the staff. Morris has not hired 1 single defensive assistant coach yet and that speaks volumes this close to the early signing period.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

a0ashle

Quote from: GuvHog on December 11, 2017, 10:07:22 am
I disagree. The early signing period is less than 2 weeks way. Any head coach worth his salt will want to have his DC on the job and recruiting before that signing period so the Defensive recruits will know who their DC is UNLESS the DC he's hired is such a high caliber DC that he's willing to wait till January for him to join the staff. Morris has not hired 1 single defensive assistant coach yet and that speaks volumes this close to the early signing period.

I think I might not have been clear. I'm saying that a NY six bowl isn't a big enough deal for those teams for us to be delaying hiring a DC or Assistant of those teams. A playoff team NFL or NCAA would be though. It also points more toward a sitting DC then a rising Position Coach.

I agree with your statement, it's highly odd and might be telling that the D side is empty at a critical point.

rljjr

Quote from: a0ashle on December 11, 2017, 09:39:22 am
I would have to think this wouldn't be high stakes enough to delay a DC or position coach from leaving. I can see the others though. Odds are it's some 4th reason we are oblivious to.

Thanks. It's just fun to chew on all the possibilities and yeah, you're probably right that it is a super secret 4th or 5th other question/option. 

HogNTX

From another thread but relevant here ...

I spent a few hours this evening going through the DCs that CCM faced in his time at Clemson and at SMU along with those he worked with at Clemson. I paid special attention to those who he lost to or held him under the average game. Basically what a coach would think was a tough defense after the game. I'll leave off the Jeremy Pruitt's of the list since his new job probably means he isn't a viable candidate. Here's the list I came up with along with a few possible scenarios.

John Chavis - he could be retained at A&M or he could retire
Charles Kelly - he could end up at A&M or could be available although he seems to be fading
Don Brown - DC at Michigan currently.
Bud Foster - AHC/DC at Va Tech who I can't see leaving although if Fuente is forcing him out because he wants his own program then it could be a potentiality.
Galen Scott - AHC/Safeties... he was Fuente's DC at Memphis and perhaps he's ready to get back to a DC role. Could be reason for Foster to be forced out or Scott to want to leave. A doubt that he'd be a shocker to the CFB world or possibly be ready for SEC.
Brian VanGorder - he's a defensive analyst at Oklahoma State and after his dismissal from Notre Dame I doubt he'd fit the hints Morris gave us
Lorenzo Ward - currently a secondary coach at Louisville ... again not really fitting the narrative laid out
Kevin Steele - DC at Clemson during Morris' first year. This would be VERY interesting given the recent history between Arkansas and Auburn in regard to coaching searches... makes for some good message board fodder. (Current DC at Auburn)
Brent Venables - He most likely isn't coming and if he is I'd want this to be the narrative anyway... there's no way he's coming. He fits the narrative and the longer we go without a DC being named the better chance it's him but most likely it's someone in a bowl game who doesn't want to be distracted from the task at hand.
Mike Stoops - Not Riley's guy and was facing some heat earlier this year.... possibility?
Marion Hobby - currently with Jacksonville Jaguars... is 1 year in the NFL enough for him and he wants to come back to the college game?

There are definitely two names on there that would be a shock: Foster and Venables... maybe even Steele

Stoops would be a surprise as would Hobby or Brown.

Chavis or Kelly seem to be the most reasonable since they are both looking for jobs but if it were then there is no need to wait.

Obviously this doesn't take into account the DC's he has admired from afar and I wouldn't be too surprised if it's someone off the radar.

And if I take Porktarian's ... I mean Wally's last tweet as a hint then I could see these guys as candidates:
Bob Diaco - winner
Don Brown - winner
John Chavis - winner
Brent Venables - winner
Bud Foster - winner
Brian VanGorder - winner
Kevin Steele
Gene Chizik - winner

Quite a bit of overlap in those two lists.

Haters gonna hate

Haters gonna hate

PermianPig

When should we expect to see a DC announced?
We must be waiting till after the bowl games.

Grizzlyfan

Does Venables become more likely as the days pass by?  Right now I would put the likelihood at 2%.  But the lack of an announcement seems strange.

hawgette92

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 11, 2017, 08:06:23 am

LOL.  Steele is safer at Auburn than any other coach, and Gus pretty much leaves him alone and lets him handles all the defense.  He's loaded up for another big year, has one of the best staffs in the SEC (and arguably CFB) and has said this is his last stop.  Only chance Steele had to leave Auburn was HC at UT. 

Chizik retired from coaching to spend time with his family who remained in Auburn.  His son is playing at Auburn High and his girls are students at AU.  He ain't coming here.

Tosh Lupoi will follow Pruitt to UT if he is not promoted to DC at Bama, which looks likely. 

Good Lord people on here are delusional.  Arkansas is not going to pull a big name DC from a better program. 

HamGrowsOnTrees

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 12, 2017, 10:04:44 am
Does Venables become more likely as the days pass by?  Right now I would put the likelihood at 2%.  But the lack of an announcement seems strange.

I'm starting to think the lack of announcement is from a lack of a top notch dc saying yes.

Lanlord

Just wanted to bring up a point I have seen.  Gene Chizik has been vocal on twitter about Chad Morris and Arkansas football, more than I would have thought considering his ties to the state.  Now I'm not saying he is their guy but it struck me as odd since he supposedly has no dogs in this hunt.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: Lanlord on December 12, 2017, 10:15:32 am
Just wanted to bring up a point I have seen.  Gene Chizik has been vocal on twitter about Chad Morris and Arkansas football, more than I would have thought considering his ties to the state.  Now I'm not saying he is their guy but it struck me as odd since he supposedly has no dogs in this hunt.

He said he's not interested in doing anything but the TV gigs he's doing now on Bo Mattingly show yesterday.

shotgun7

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 12, 2017, 10:13:08 am
I'm starting to think the lack of announcement is from a lack of a top notch dc saying yes.

Could be...

PorkSoda

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 12, 2017, 10:13:08 am
any top notch candidate is prepping for a bowl right now.

your anxiety has nothing to do with what is actually going on right now.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.