Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A rebuilding year....

Started by twistitup, October 17, 2017, 10:49:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

CBB now says it a rebuilding year. Why did we not know this before now? Based on SEC media days and various interviews he thought we had a great off season, a solid Oline, Sr QB, quality receivers,. etc....'very close'  as it was explained to the fans.

If the fans knew what to REALLY expect, maybe the reaction wouldn't be so vicious. If CBB actually thought this was a rebuilding year, he made a big mistake by saying "we are very close", "looking great on the practice field", "only a missed block here and a missed assignment there"

But I guess he is accustomed to making blunders of the mouth:

"I came to win the SEC"

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Lanny

Probably fighting to keep his job
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Atlhogfan1

Maybe naive ignorant fans believed those things.  The oline was always a question mark. Once RWIII had to quit we were going to be thin at RB.  Williams has been a nice surprise.  We lost almost all of our receivers and Sprinkle.   And we were switching to a new defense when we usually struggle on D anyway. Plus a schedule with 3 SEC home games and the first 3 in Dallas and at SC and Bama. 

Why do people hang on to coachspeak so much?   This wasn't going to be THE season to step up.  Doesn't excuse AU last season or Mizzou, VT, TCU, A&M again, SC or the lack of being able to put up a fight vs Bama.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jst01

He built in this "rebuilding year" excuse with the 3-4 defense.  It was a win-win for him.

If it worked great: I made the move and look how great the D has been!

If it didn't work well: We have some growing pains and add in the loss of ____, really puts you behind the curve.

And as for the offense, he didn't waste an opportunity to tell everyone how great the Senior QB and Senior center would be together and that the O-line has improved and how talented the young receivers are.  But after his inept line gets punched in the mouth he reverses his stance. Just lose 4 of the next 6 games please and exit quickly, Bret.

Marshfieldhog

So year 3 was the high point and years 4 and 5 was rebuilding years?

Just think about how bad the OL could be next year without Ragnow. I'm also not sure we have an elite RB, maybe the OL is just so bad we can't really tell how elite our backs could be.

hawgon

Rebuilding to what?  Another 7-6 regular season and a Liberty Bowl.  Sweet merciful Odin, deliver me from the heights of esctasy that another such effort will provide.

Roaringboar

Quote from: twistitup on October 17, 2017, 10:49:33 am
CBB now says it a rebuilding year. Why did we not know this before now? Based on SEC media days and various interviews thought we had a Great Offseason, a solid Oline, Sr QB, quality receivers,. etc....'very close'  as it was explained to the fans.

If the fans knew what to REALLY expect, maybe the reaction wouldn't be so vicious. If CBB really actually this was a rebuilding year, he made a big mistake by saying "we are very close", "looking great on the practice field", "only a missed block here and a missed assignment there"

"I came to win the SEC"

Yeah, he's just covering his @$$ now.......everyone had us being a mid-level SEC team going into the season with a chance to finish 8-4 or even 9-3 with our big losses coming against Alabama, Auburn, and possibly Ole Miss if Frieze hadn't gotten himself fired........LSU and Miss State were considered toss ups along with TCU......For the most part, the analysts were pretty high on us being a good SEC team, just not a championship quality team, which I would've been okay with....this season has been nothing but a bad joke on the Arkansas fanbase, and he knows it, so the best excuse he can go with is "Rebuilding season" which is what we've been during every freaking season with blubbering Bert......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on October 17, 2017, 11:02:32 am
So year 3 was the high point and years 4 and 5 was rebuilding years?

Just think about how bad the OL could be next year without Ragnow. I'm also not sure we have an elite RB, maybe the OL is just so bad we can't really tell how elite our backs could be.
Yes. Shouldn't have been if he had focused on the building of the line above all else and done it successfully.  Because it isn't this ended up a rebuilding year.

Year 4 wasn't rebuilding.  It was opportunity lost to progress even if only a small step.  Another failure by Bielema and staff.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Rebuilding actually isn't correct as this was never built.  It has been more of a big step back in the build. 

forrest city joe

CBB now says it a rebuilding year. Why did we not know this before now? Based on SEC media days and various interviews he thought we had a great off season, a solid Oline, Sr QB, quality receivers,. etc....'very close'  as it was explained to the fans.

If the fans knew what to REALLY expect, maybe the reaction wouldn't be so vicious. If CBB actually thought this was a rebuilding year, he made a big mistake by saying "we are very close", "looking great on the practice field", "only a missed block here and a missed assignment there"

"I came to win the SEC"

Rebuilding year!rebuilding from what?this team was 7 and 6,last year.and got destroyed in a lot of games.REBUILDING FROM WHAT?

King Kong

It is pretty funny that year 5 is a rebuilding year after he talked for 4 years about his 5 year plan

twistitup

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 17, 2017, 11:08:20 am
Rebuilding year!rebuilding from what?this team was 7 and 6,last year.and got destroyed in a lot of games.REBUILDING FROM WHAT?

More Bretspeak, get ready for a whole lot more of this in the next month....

I like the way Herman did at TX - he went in and instead of being a big headed jackass he told them to expect a journey...

Tom Herman:

"We understand that this is a process, and this is a journey. We're building a program — not a season, not a team and not a game. We need to be mindful of where we're headed and the journey that we're on, but also be urgent with how we get there so that we can win, and win now.

"I think you can have that big-picture understanding, but also your drive and dedication to make sure that we do our best to win every game."

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Bolt/First-year-head-coach-Tom-Herman-remains-focused-on-rebuilding-T-109036680

Instead of the Herman approach, we get a blow hard that says he's better than Saban, came to beat Bama and win the SEC.....he would have been better served with a more 'grounded' strategy for rebuilding the program and RETAINING the fanbase
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Redhogs

HEY BERT...OLE MISS IS A TOTAL DUMPSTER FIRE, DON'T EVEN HAVE A HEAD COACH YET AND THEY HAVE A BETTER RECORD (3-3) THAN YOU DO....WHAT A JOKE THE $4.25 MILLION DOLLAR LOSER MAN REALLY AND TRULY IS.. EXCUSE MAKING MACHINE THOUGH.
Alabama   4-0   7-0   4-0   2-0   1-0   299   71   W7
Auburn   3-1   5-2   4-0   1-2   0-0   238   105   L1
Texas A&M   3-1   5-2   3-1   1-1   1-0   225   184   W1
LSU   2-1   5-2   3-1   1-1   1-0   179   136   W2
Ole Miss*   1-2   3-3   3-0   0-3   0-0   191   222   W1
Mississippi State   1-2   4-2   3-0   1-2   0-0   191   118   W1
Arkansas   0-3   2-4   1-1   0-2   1-1   172   198   L2
AWESOME AIN'T IT BERT ;) ;)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

The_Iceman

He could sell that if he finished 9-4 last year. However, he gave up any grace period or margin for error screwing away those last 2 games.

jcul28

I seriously think it is more coaching than players. You see glimpses but the next play call, you ask "wth was that?" Then you watch video or read the coaches talk to the media and its almost as if Dan Enos and Bret are on different levels. Almost to the point that they don't agree on what to do or they want to do. If Bret stays next year, I don't see Enos being here. I really believe the offense has the potential to be way better if Bret could swallow some pride and just let Dan turn it loose. If Enos wants to run the HUNH and its effective, why shut it down?

Laughing Hog

If this is a rebuilding year, was that craptastic of a season last season the pinnacle of what we get for our $4m? I venture to say YES!
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

EastexHawg

He comes into the season 25-26 overall, 10-22 in SEC play, and he is "rebuilding". Just how stupid do Bielema and Long think Arkansas fans are?

Wildhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 17, 2017, 12:16:11 pm
He comes into the season 25-26 overall, 10-22 in SEC play, and he is "rebuilding". Just how stupid do Bielema and Long think Arkansas fans are?

Really, really stupid.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

1highhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 17, 2017, 11:00:16 am
Maybe naive ignorant fans believed those things.  The oline was always a question mark. Once RWIII had to quit we were going to be thin at RB.  Williams has been a nice surprise.  We lost almost all of our receivers and Sprinkle.   And we were switching to a new defense when we usually struggle on D anyway. Plus a schedule with 3 SEC home games and the first 3 in Dallas and at SC and Bama. 

Why do people hang on to coachspeak so much?   This wasn't going to be THE season to step up.  Doesn't excuse AU last season or Mizzou, VT, TCU, A&M again, SC or the lack of being able to put up a fight vs Bama.

Then I guess next year will be a rebuilding year to if he thinks our Oline is going to be better than this year, I just don't see it happening.  We also lose several playmakers on defense as well.  So will this be CBB's two year pass we're now looking at?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 1highhog on October 17, 2017, 12:17:37 pm
Then I guess next year will be a rebuilding year to if he thinks our Oline is going to be better than this year, I just don't see it happening.  We also lose several playmakers on defense as well.  So will this be CBB's two year pass we're now looking at?

Hope not on a pass.  Don't give passes to lose at this point. 

Agreed.  The program is yet to be built to rebuild and I doubt will be next season either. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: Laughing Hog on October 17, 2017, 12:11:30 pm
If this is a rebuilding year, was that craptastic of a season last season the pinnacle of what we get for our $4m? I venture to say YES!
+1000.Rebuilding from what?

elksnort

I say this every time and I believe that I am correct. If the offensive line would/could run block better, then this season thus far would be entirely different. We would be 4-2 instead of 2-4.

And I believe this in spite of losing RWIII, the receivers, new defensive scheme.

Running the ball well gobbles the clock, thus allowing the defense to not have to play much. It is a simple formula that somehow CBB lost control over.

elksnort

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 17, 2017, 12:20:44 pm
+1000.Rebuilding from what?
Just saying "rebuilding year" in year 5 should be a fireable offense in itself.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: elksnort on October 17, 2017, 12:23:14 pm
I say this every time and I believe that I am correct. If the offensive line would/could run block better, then this season thus far would be entirely different. We would be 4-2 instead of 2-4.

And I believe this in spite of losing RWIII, the receivers, new defensive scheme.

Running the ball well gobbles the clock, thus allowing the defense to not have to play much. It is a simple formula that somehow CBB lost control over.

I would like to think that although I still think Bielema is destined to figure out a way to lose to A&M.  Yes the mismanagement of offensive line build is a big factor as to why we are where we are.  Let's not leave out our not so special special teams. 

The NewEra

Bret Bielema:  "It's year five, I get it"

He didn't mention a rebuilding year when he was saying that sort of stuff all off season and during fall camp.

Hogs-n-Roses

"I came to win the SEC"

I'll not question anything he does. He's on course to surpass Nutt. Nut got 5-6 million to not coach and Bret is on course to make 10.3. Whoop Whoop Whoop (does curly shuffle)

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: elksnort on October 17, 2017, 12:25:20 pm
Just saying "rebuilding year" in year 5 should be a fireable offense in itself.

It happens.  But only if you are rebuilding from something built.  2012 would have been one in some fashion in BP's 5th season due to what was lost on D from 2011. 

Roaringboar

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 17, 2017, 12:27:52 pm
It happens.  But only if you are rebuilding from something built.  2012 would have been one in some fashion in BP's 5th season due to what was lost on D from 2011.

D might've struggled, but our Offense would've been outstanding....that's why the AP still had us at #8 in the preseason despite losing Petrino....problem was that Smith had no idea how to lead that team, neither did Paul..........

The NewEra

Quote from: elksnort on October 17, 2017, 12:23:14 pm

I have no doubt you are right.  It has been the total mismanagement of the offensive line from the 2016 season through this year that is the reason for our pathetic performance.  Some folks seem to be unwilling to admit it, but the defense is much better than last year and is playing better each week.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 17, 2017, 12:29:21 pm
D might've struggled, but our Offense would've been outstanding....that's why the AP still had us at #8 in the preseason despite losing Petrino....problem was that Smith had no idea how to lead that team, neither did Paul..........

Offense would have been good enough to have had an okay season.  Nothing like what it ended up as. 

hawgon

Quote from: jcul28 on October 17, 2017, 12:08:59 pm
I seriously think it is more coaching than players. You see glimpses but the next play call, you ask "wth was that?" Then you watch video or read the coaches talk to the media and its almost as if Dan Enos and Bret are on different levels. Almost to the point that they don't agree on what to do or they want to do. If Bret stays next year, I don't see Enos being here. I really believe the offense has the potential to be way better if Bret could swallow some pride and just let Dan turn it loose. If Enos wants to run the HUNH and its effective, why shut it down?

Death certificates man.  It is kind of hard to back off that.

Roaringboar

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 17, 2017, 12:31:21 pm
Offense would have been good enough to have had an okay season.  Nothing like what it ended up as.

I think we could've still finished in the top 10.......everything indicates we could've finished 10-2 again......we were essentially in the same role Auburn is now......We weren't good enough to be Bama, but we could beat everyone else while losing another one along the way.......

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 17, 2017, 12:16:11 pm

This

hogcard1964

"I came to win the SEC"

Please tell me that he did not actually say this?

Hawgphat

I don't see any "rebuilding".  I see a steady attrition rate of "dismantling".  It's not going to get better.  It CAN'T get better.  We don't have a competent construction supervisor on the job.

Beam me up, Scotty.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 17, 2017, 12:34:02 pm
I think we could've still finished in the top 10.......everything indicates we could've finished 10-2 again......we were essentially in the same role Auburn is now......We weren't good enough to be Bama, but we could beat everyone else while losing another one along the way.......

Not going to derail the thread with this again.

Quote from: The NewEra on October 17, 2017, 12:30:26 pm
I have no doubt you are right.  It has been the total mismanagement of the offensive line from the 2016 season through this year that is the reason for our pathetic performance.  Some folks seem to be unwilling to admit it, but the defense is much better than last year and is playing better each week.

It went back before 2016.

Bielema's first full recruiting class to Arkansas had 5 OL signees but one was Tretola with only 2 years of eligibility,.

Next class in 2015 only had 3 OL in it.  4 star Merrick and 3 stars Rogers and Jackson.  Froholdt has moved over as we know and was a complete project in the beginning.

2016 was a really WTH class in the OL.  3 signees:  Heinrich and 2 JC's

2017:  Only 3 signees.  All 3 stars.

This is why we took the Texas reject Raulerson and they are searching the walkons for help. 

For someone who claimed he wanted to build a program with a powerful oline as the focus, the recruiting hasn't shown it. 

DeltaBoy

"I came to win the SEC"

Next Long will tell us he needs a 2 year pass cause of the cloud left by Nick Saban signing everyone.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cjack

He has said the same things, year after year here in Arkansas.  There is a certain percentage of the fan base that believes whatever the coach says is the gospel.  Those same people criticize others with differing opinions because "they aren't an SEC coach, what do you know, he's there every day he knows".  He keeps saying the same things because every year he says it enough of the fan base believe it.  Hopefully enough of the fan base can see through the smoke he blows now.

Woooo Pig Soooie!

Rayzback

After the 5th misfire, it'd be silly to reload.  Rebuild it is.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

hogcard1964

He said this before this season began:

The way Arkansas' season ended still bothers Bret Bielema and Arkansas fans, and the coach knows it's all on him now.

Under Bielema, Arkansas improved from 3-9 to 7-6 to 8-5, but fell to 7-6 last season, blowing a 24-7 lead against Missouri and a 24-0 halftime lead against Virginia Tech in their final two games.

"It was a tough game for our fans, our players, coaches, administration, everybody that loves the Razorbacks. Those two games were a letdown," Bielema said on SEC Network's Arkansas Summer Tour. "But you turn a negative into a positive. It was a bad situation, and if you let it stay bad, it'll turn into more. We've turned it into a positive."

Still, the losses stick with a coach a lot more than the wins, and there have been more than Bielema expected at first. He's 10-22 in SEC games, 10-14 if you take out the first 0-8 season

"You learn more by experiencing the failures once you get there," he said. "I thought I had it all figured out in the Big Ten. Won a lot of games, three straight championships, hadn't done that in 30 years. I could have stayed there and done it forever. I wanted to do something that had never been done before. I wanted to put something on my back that we could do.

"We're going to get there, but the tribulations I've learned were from the failures we experienced. The only way you're going to learn is going through them."

Heading into year five, can Bielema get over the hump? He inherited a 4-8 program from John L. Smith after the Bobby Petrino scandal and had to fix things off the field, but the roster is all Bielema players now, and he knows there are no excuses in the difficult SEC West.

"We changed dramatically what they were doing. We changed everything they'd recruited and believed in philosophically to something totally different," Bielema said, but he admitted, "but we're in year five. I totally get it. These are my guys, my players. We're ready to rock and roll. I think they understand what I'm saying the more I say it. It's a fun time to be in our program."

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Bret-Bielema-Were-in-year-5-I-totally-get-it

East Clintwood

Don't you have to have something built in the first place before you can 'rebuild' it?

Bert hasn't built a d-a-m-n thing here and never will.

He needs to be sent packing.  Now.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on October 17, 2017, 12:46:05 pm
I wouldn't say always naive or ignorant. Could also classify some as hopeless romantic. I'm always going to be extremely excited right before the season, think they'll win 1 or 2 more than they usually do and be generally positive. This season I was always more worried about the WRs than the OL because while Jackson and Fro were underwhelming last year, they gained experience. Wallace ended up having a decent season, and expected big things from him. When he didn't start the season, though, I knew we were in trouble. Especially being passed by a lightly recruited true freshman.

Agreed the hopeless romantic and optimistic fan part.  I was a bit harsh earlier. 

Someone may need to check my math.  Has our staff really only signed 7 HS Olinemen + Froholdt in the last 3 classes?   >:(

Calling All Hogs

Still trying to get your act together after five years is not rebuilding.

Atlhogfan1

2 3 star OL committed right now in a small class.  Makes no damn sense for any system let alone how we would like to play to sign this few HS olinemen over 4 classes.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 17, 2017, 11:03:37 am
Yeah, he's just covering his @$$ now.......everyone had us being a mid-level SEC team going into the season with a chance to finish 8-4 or even 9-3 with our big losses coming against Alabama, Auburn, and possibly Ole Miss if Frieze hadn't gotten himself fired........LSU and Miss State were considered toss ups along with TCU......For the most part, the analysts were pretty high on us being a good SEC team, just not a championship quality team, which I would've been okay with....this season has been nothing but a bad joke on the Arkansas fanbase, and he knows it, so the best excuse he can go with is "Rebuilding season" which is what we've been during every freaking season with blubbering Bert......

Roaringboar - I think you are wrong in your comments.  Hogs were picked to finish 6-6 or worse in multiple news sources.  I know the boys weren't suppose to play this bad but facts were written on the wall and it all started with RW3 retiring due to injury.  If the Hogs were picked to finish 7-6 or better it was before RW3 unfortunate injury.  We always have high expectations as fans looking forward to the season but I have to admit I wasn't overly sold in this season especially after the final two games of the 2016 season.

2017 Arkansas Razorbacks Football Schedule

"They go 2-2 in September. If they blow it at home against TCU and in Jerry World against Texas A&M, it's uh-oh time with four tough road games to go including dates at Alabama and LSU. They lose both of those, and can't get past Auburn at home. All of a sudden, they're in mid-November and they need to beat Mississippi State and Missouri to become bowl eligible. They're not going to come up with a losing season, but even 6-6 might mean a regime change."  Pete Fiutak January 13, 2017 2:41 pm USA Today College Football News.

Athlon Sports picked the Hogs to finish 4th in SECW and 29th Nationally (Athlon Sports, 5/31/17, 10:30 AM EDT).

I could go on with several other sources picking the Hogs to be mediocre this season.  Do I believe there should be some changes with the Staff - YES!  The only thing it will have a tremendous downside to an already small recruiting class.  I hope the boys become bowl eligible but still convinced a regime change might be in the best interest of the program regardless of this seasons outcome.  I'll go on record and say it "I like CBB" but sometimes change is necessary for the survival of the program.

Roaringboar

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on October 17, 2017, 01:52:59 pm
Roaringboar - I think you are wrong in your comments.  Hogs were picked to finish 6-6 or worse in multiple news sources.  I know the boys weren't suppose to play this bad but facts were written on the wall and it all started with RW3 retiring due to injury.  If the Hogs were picked to finish 7-6 or better it was before RW3 unfortunate injury.  We always have high expectations as fans looking forward to the season but I have to admit I wasn't overly sold in this season especially after the final two games of the 2016 season.

2017 Arkansas Razorbacks Football Schedule

"They go 2-2 in September. If they blow it at home against TCU and in Jerry World against Texas A&M, it's uh-oh time with four tough road games to go including dates at Alabama and LSU. They lose both of those, and can't get past Auburn at home. All of a sudden, they're in mid-November and they need to beat Mississippi State and Missouri to become bowl eligible. They're not going to come up with a losing season, but even 6-6 might mean a regime change."  Pete Fiutak January 13, 2017 2:41 pm USA Today College Football News.

Athlon Sports picked the Hogs to finish 4th in SECW and 29th Nationally (Athlon Sports, 5/31/17, 10:30 AM EDT).

I could go on with several other sources picking the Hogs to be mediocre this season.  Do I believe there should be some changes with the Staff - YES!  The only thing it will have a tremendous downside to an already small recruiting class.  I hope the boys become bowl eligible but still convinced a regime change might be in the best interest of the program regardless of this seasons outcome.  I'll go on record and say it "I like CBB" but sometimes change is necessary for the survival of the program.

And they were picked to do better in others.....and 4th in the SEC West could still mean an 8-4 season depending on how your losses fell.....but I don't remember seeing anyone notable think we'd go 6-6 or be in the situation we are now.....NO ONE said we'd be mediocre again this season......at least no one of any high reputation.......everyone knew that the hogs were going to have questions to answer with their defense because of the transition year, everyone knew our run game took a hit when RWIII retired, and everyone knew our O-line lost a lot in Dan Skipper.......But NO ONE though we would finish 3-9 or 4-8 for the most part, and I read a ton of the threads, and I think Athlon even called for us to finish 7-5 but admitted we could do a win or two better depending on how some of the other west programs played out......Like I said, we were not Natty favorite or even a conference favorite, but we had potential to finish as a mid level SEC West team for sure because Miss State lost a QB, Ole Miss lost Frieze, A&M has done nothing under Sumlin and finished down last year, and there were quite a few questions for whether or not LSU could get it's offense togethor with Canada in a single season......which is what I said in my original post.....we weren't a natty favorite, or a conference champ favorite, but we should've been at least a good SEC team....not the joke we are now......that's why so many fans are angry......this season should not be happening.....this isn't a minor back-step, hiccup, or stutter-step, this is like jumping of a cliff holding an anvil.........

mckinneyhog5

"I came to win the SEC"

Well, to begin with Arkansas wasn't ranked in the top 25 to start the season. It appears only certain fans that use Bert to incorrectly name our coach had higher expectations. Most rational fans knew this wasn't going to be a great year considering the losses on the o-line, RW retiring and then our only experienced receiver, JC out for the year.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Kevin

the moment rwIII retired, he should have started selling this.

thin at rb
inexperienced at te, & wr
change in defense will take time, and lots of inexperienced players in the two deep.

been an easier sell if he would have been coming off a 9-4 season
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Roaringboar

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on October 17, 2017, 02:13:11 pm
Well, to begin with Arkansas wasn't ranked in the top 25 to start the season. It appears only certain fans that use Bert to incorrectly name our coach had higher expectations. Most rational fans knew this wasn't going to be a great year considering the losses on the o-line, RW retiring and then our only experienced receiver, JC out for the year.

JC wasn't out for the year when the season started, just had a minor back injury......that happened later on, and yeah, we all knew then we were screwed..........and Arkansas wasn't in the top 25 because we did have losses at RB and on the O-line and sure the defense was changing, but that was the same story for every team in the SEC West except for Auburn and Bama........Every other school has rallied and found a way to make this an interesting season for them while we cling to last place in the SEC West and could finsih last in the SEC  overall, and no one, NO ONE predicted that in the pre-season and if you say you did you're just a liar.....no one saw us doing worst than 6-6, and many though 7-8 wins was a reality, even if it meant another surge in the later half of the season....and that isn't happening......this staff isn't talented enough to lead these players to do something like that.......We'll start seeing it with Auburn, and that'll be the last big gut-punch before we finally just see this dumpster fire of a program turn into a raging inferno......

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 17, 2017, 02:04:19 pm
And they were picked to do better in others.....and 4th in the SEC West could still mean an 8-4 season depending on how your losses fell.....but I don't remember seeing anyone notable think we'd go 6-6 or be in the situation we are now.....NO ONE said we'd be mediocre again this season......at least no one of any high reputation.......everyone knew that the hogs were going to have questions to answer with their defense because of the transition year, everyone knew our run game took a hit when RWIII retired, and everyone knew our O-line lost a lot in Dan Skipper.......But NO ONE though we would finish 3-9 or 4-8 for the most part, and I read a ton of the threads, and I think Athlon even called for us to finish 7-5 but admitted we could do a win or two better depending on how some of the other west programs played out......Like I said, we were not Natty favorite or even a conference favorite, but we had potential to finish as a mid level SEC West team for sure because Miss State lost a QB, Ole Miss lost Frieze, A&M has done nothing under Sumlin and finished down last year, and there were quite a few questions for whether or not LSU could get it's offense togethor with Canada in a single season......which is what I said in my original post.....we weren't a natty favorite, or a conference champ favorite, but we should've been at least a good SEC team....not the joke we are now......that's why so many fans are angry......this season should not be happening.....this isn't a minor back-step, hiccup, or stutter-step, this is like jumping of a cliff holding an anvil.........

The one thing I can most certainly agree with is the downhill spiral that the Hogs as a whole (staff and players) have shown this season.  Rolling into game 7 not many of us figured the boys would be sitting at 2-4, this I can unequivocally agree with.  There have been many preseason predictions I've read that had the Hogs at 6-6 (especially after RW3 retired). So I will not debate on who read what but just agree with the overall disappointment we have as Hog fans.  I literally can't point to one single point of failure but point to a lot of things that have went wrong with a team that could (should) have finished anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4.  I really don't think the players have given up on CBB / CDE / CPR and the rest of the staff but something has went wrong. Have they lost confidence in each other and the coaches don't know how to motivate and rally the boys to compete...who knows???  Just like you sir - I'm still scratching my head and pray they can knock off Awwburn this Saturday.   :-\