Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marcus Smart presser

Started by popcornhog, February 09, 2014, 05:35:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

Wow -- that was a whole lot of nothing. Coach Ford merely said that he refuses to talk about what the fan said.

What a waste if time.

Fwiw -- The TTU fan apparently called Smart "a piece of crap" which is what caused Smart to hit him. This according to espn.
WPS

micali

Maybe so, but the player should have walked away.  Now his actions will hurt his team.  If they were on the street then he could of knocked him out and then faced real world consequences of his actions. 
Someone can call me a cracker or whatever they want and I'm not going to react because words are words but don't lay a hand on me.
The kid reacted wrong and will probably miss a few games for it.  Dumb.  The other guy should not be allowed back either.

popcornhog

Quote from: High Octane Hog on February 09, 2014, 06:01:42 pm
Fan had no right to say what he said. Smart needed to ignore it and move on. Me...you trip my trigger, you may kick my arse , but you got it to do.
No place for white or black racism in this world.

Wait, what? I thought the fan called him "a piece of crap." What does race have to do with this?
WPS

hog.goblin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2014, 06:01:26 pm
Protect himself from what?  Words?  If that is all that was said then Smart was way out of line.

The TT fan should be banned by Tech.  They should want to distance themselves from the guy based on a pattern of behavior including this incident.  It's enough students say what they do as they often go way over the line.  But they are peers to the players.  Adults who do it are creepy and have issues. 

Very good thoughts.  I say the fan gets banned for the rest of the season and next fall.  Everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

High Octane Hog

February 09, 2014, 06:11:39 pm #4 Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:45:16 pm by High Octane Hog
Quote from: popcornhog on February 09, 2014, 06:03:03 pm
Wait, what? I thought the fan called him "a piece of crap." What does race have to do with this?
Read the thread (seems those racist remarks have disappeared, good job mods, that was the right thing +1)

popcornhog

Quote from: High Octane Hog on February 09, 2014, 06:11:39 pm
Read the thread

Just re-read all 10 posts. No idea what he's talking about.
WPS

The_Iceman

February 09, 2014, 06:28:45 pm #6 Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:10:05 pm by The_Iceman
Marcus Smart must have thought he heard something else. Because the way he reacted and what he said immediately after on the court indicate that he heard a racial slur.

Mason

At the :19 sec mark it sounds a lot like "You piece of crap!"

Tech Footage
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading.  The few who learn by observation.  The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.----Will Rogers

Dirty

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2014, 06:01:26 pm
Protect himself from what?  Words?  If that is all that was said then Smart was way out of line.

The TT fan should be banned by Tech.  They should want to distance themselves from the guy based on a pattern of behavior including this incident.  It's enough students say what they do as they often go way over the line.  But they are peers to the players.  Adults who do it are creepy and have issues. 

I actually agree with this!   

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Mason on February 09, 2014, 06:30:03 pm
At the :19 sec mark it sounds a lot like "You piece of crap!"

And there you have it.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogfan10

Quote from: popcornhog on February 09, 2014, 06:25:23 pm

I don't know either, but I find it odd that with all the people that are capable of interpreting racial "code words", that they are no where to be found when some people are throwing out words like "white crackers" and "old white people". Blu where are you? We need your help.

High Octane Hog

February 09, 2014, 06:33:12 pm #11 Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:47:02 pm by High Octane Hog
Quote from: popcornhog on February 09, 2014, 06:25:23 pm
There are racial overtones in this thread. No place for black or white racism.  (seems those racist remarks have disappeared, good job mods, that was the right thing +1)

Breems

I can't believe the people defending him.

If that fan truly "got what was coming to him," players should just show up with AK-47s and blast out the student section prior to starting the games.

If you can't handle the heat as a player, you suck.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hogimus Prime

Does anyone else still hate Ford from his days as a Wildcat?

hogfan10

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on February 09, 2014, 06:35:32 pm
Does anyone else still hate Ford from his days as a Wildcat?

Didn't he play at Missouri also?

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 09, 2014, 06:38:11 pm
Didn't he play at Missouri also?

Yes he did.

I'd expect Smart's behavior out of Haith coached team.

Victom

Quote from: Breems on February 09, 2014, 06:34:51 pm

If that fan truly "got what was coming to him," players should just show up with AK-47s and blast out the student section prior to starting the games.

popcornhog

Quote from: High Octane Hog on February 09, 2014, 06:33:12 pm
There are racial overtones in this thread. No place for black or white racism.

Agree with your point 100%.

I don't think that racism was part of it though. I think it was a TTU fan taunting an opposing player.
WPS

moses_007

Well, Smart was suspended by the Big 12 today for three games for shoving the fan.

The fan, a regular at TT basketball games, has agreed to not attend any more games in person this season.

Guess they both got what they deserved.  Both were at fault on this altercation.

sickboy

Quote from: Breems on February 09, 2014, 06:34:51 pm

Wow. That escalated quickly. From a shove to AK-47's. Nice.

Anyway, who gives a crap either way. They're both morons for doing what they did. Make it a like football and have the penalties offset and go back to business. It's really not that big of a deal.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on February 09, 2014, 06:42:20 pm
Yes he did.

I'd expect Smart's behavior out of Haith coached team.

Don't hate him.  But at the time he played, he was one of my least favorite players.  He had to go from MU to UK.  Couldn't have been a program we didn't play.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

husker71

this fan has done things in the past according to some sources.  My thing is would you ever go up to some one (at the fans age) and give some guy the finger or call them some name OUTSIDE in public??   Of course not.  But this fan acts the tough guy when he is protected by 2 ladies and lots of other fans.  I yelled at players to  until I was about 30 then figured out it was not worth it. And just a side note to all you young guys with a hot but loud girlfriend look at those 2 ladies and that is what you get when the hot goes away.

pigture perfect

Was that clip doctored in any way? It seems strange to me that you could hear "You piece of crap" plainly but everything else is muffled.

Smart was not smart by his actions, but that's the kind of fans TTU has and wants. Anybody that would hire Bob Knight after Indiana has no class.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Blue35

Marcus needs to mature and get a grip.

Adam Stokes

I hope fans chant "piece of crap" during each of his remaining FT's during the rest of the season.  That  is hardly offensive, and even when I got called that in elementary school it didn't cause me to lose my temper.  Sticks and stones there Marcus. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Adam Stokes on February 09, 2014, 07:02:48 pm
I hope fans chant "piece of crap" during each of his remaining FT's during the rest of the season.  That  is hardly offensive, and even when I got called that in elementary school it didn't cause me to lose my temper.  Sticks and stones there Marcus.
I don't know, man.  If he used the Al Pacino, Scarface accent, I might have been offended.

Mason

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 09, 2014, 06:56:40 pm
Was that clip doctored in any way? It seems strange to me that you could hear "You piece of crap" plainly but everything else is muffled.

Don't know for sure. The clip was officially released by Texas Tech so that should give it some legitimacy. 
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading.  The few who learn by observation.  The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.----Will Rogers

Dr. Starcs

The fan definitely got the worse of it. No games for the rest of the season. Smart only gets 3 games?!?!  Seriously?!?! 

Smart is a baby that can't take it when things don't go his way. When you go on the road, you expect to get harassed from the opposing fans, especially when you already have a reputation and you're the teams best player. The best players thrive off that stuff.

hogfan10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2014, 06:50:44 pm
Don't hate him.  But at the time he played, he was one of my least favorite players.  He had to go from MU to UK.  Couldn't have been a program we didn't play.

If I remember correctly he was a Rotnei Clark, before Rotnei Clark.

-Blu

Quote from: husker71 on February 09, 2014, 06:50:52 pm
this fan has done things in the past according to some sources.  My thing is would you ever go up to some one (at the fans age) and give some guy the finger or call them some name OUTSIDE in public??   Of course not.  But this fan acts the tough guy when he is protected by 2 ladies and lots of other fans.  I yelled at players to  until I was about 30 then figured out it was not worth it. And just a side note to all you young guys with a hot but loud girlfriend look at those 2 ladies and that is what you get when the hot goes away.

LOL @ your last comment good post +1.

I'm glad the fan got a little taste of something. He got a little shove wasn't that big of a deal, 3 games suspension sounds about right.  I don't like people that think they can say whatever and do whatever they want with no consequences.  And this fan is a repeat offender, you know it's bad when pro players tweet they remember that guy, they literally run into millions of fans and this idiot stuck out to them.  If your at a game, you don't have attack a person and throw out insults and give them the finger to be a good fan.  This actually ruins the experience for other fans.  I know personally I once got into it with a guy at a game because I had my kid there and he kept cussing and calling the refs and players all different types of names, and I didn't want my kid to hear all that, so I told him to sit down and stop with the profanity, and he just looked at me crazy then sat down.

I'm also glad this fan got the boot and won't be attending anymore games, it's obvious he doesn't know how to conduct himself in public.  My guess is the school requested that he don't attend anymore games, and let him come out and say it as if it was his decision, but he really had no choice.

Hopefully other fans learn from this, and more idiots that don't know how to act in public start getting banned.

hogfan10

Quote from: -Blu on February 09, 2014, 07:42:33 pm
LOL @ your last comment good post +1.

I'm glad the fan got a little taste of something. He got a little shove wasn't that big of a deal, 3 games suspension sounds about right.  I don't like people that think they can say whatever and do whatever they want with no consequences.  And this fan is a repeat offender, you know it's bad when pro players tweet they remember that guy, they literally run into millions of fans and this idiot stuck out to them.  If your at a game, you don't have attack a person and throw out insults and give them the finger to be a good fan.  This actually ruins the experience for other fans.  I know personally I once got into it with a guy at a game because I had my kid there and he kept cussing and calling the refs and players all different types of names, and I didn't want my kid to hear all that, so I told him to sit down and stop with the profanity, and he just looked at me crazy then sat down.

I'm also glad this fan got the boot and won't be attending anymore games, it's obvious he doesn't know how to conduct himself in public.  My guess is the school requested that he don't attend anymore games, and let him come out and say it as if it was his decision, but he really had no choice.

Hopefully other fans learn from this, and more idiots that don't know how to act in public start getting banned.

I agree with everything you said Blu, but I have to wonder why you didn't call out any of the posters that blatantly made racist comments in this thread.

Never mind it appears they were removed.

ATU HOG

Just curious, if this was a college student, rather than an older man... would this be as big of a deal? Meaning are people saying he gets what he deserves because he's an old man?

Only reason I ask, is that if you watch the video of the Auburn student section taunting, yelling, and flipping off Marshall Henderson, I don't remember people saying how wrong they were on here. I know he got up and taunted the student section. There is a thread somewhere on Jump Ball with the video.

Just curious to what you think

Quote from: ATU HOG on February 09, 2014, 08:04:47 pm
Just curious, if this was a college student, rather than an older man... would this be as big of a deal? Meaning are people saying he gets what he deserves because he's an old man?

Only reason I ask, is that if you watch the video of the Auburn student section taunting, yelling, and flipping off Marshall Henderson, I don't remember people saying how wrong they were on here.  There is a thread somewhere on Jump Ball.

Good point.

-Blu

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 09, 2014, 07:54:08 pm
I agree with everything you said Blu, but I have to wonder why you didn't call out any of the posters that blatantly made racist comments in this thread.

Never mind it appears they were removed.

I must have missed them before they got removed.

But, regardless this situation isn't about race at all, to me.  Going to games is suppose to be a family-oriented environment.  I'm more concerned about the kids and their experience, and it pisses me off when idiots like that ruin the experience for the younger fans by doing crap like that.  There's nothing wrong with booing, yelling air-ball chants, and stomping your feet, waving your shirt or whatever else you want to do.  But, when you start yelling profanity, flipping people off, throwing racial comments, saying personal things about players, that's taking it way too far, and I wish we could get every single person that's involved in that type of action banned permanently from the arena.  There's no excuse for being an adult and acting like that.  Especially provoking young college kids that aren't getting paid to deal with this.

I was even upset with the one kid that tried to fight Aaron Harrison when we beat Kentucky at home.  That was embarrassing to me.  I felt he should have been banned, there's no place for immaturity and nonsense like that.  These college kids aren't getting paid to deal with idiots in the crowd that don't know how to act.  If Aaron Harrison would have knocked him out, I would have had no problem with that, because that kid was looking for a fight, and trying to provoke him.

PonderinHog

Only reason I ask, is that if you watch the video of the Auburn student section taunting, yelling, and flipping off Marshall Henderson, I don't remember people saying how wrong they were on here. I know he got up and taunted the student section. There is a thread somewhere on Jump Ball with the video.

There was no physical altercation between Henderson and the Auburn fans.

ATU HOG

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 09, 2014, 08:16:40 pm
There was no physical altercation between Henderson and the Auburn fans.
I know that.  But people saying the guy should never be allowed to go to another TTU game, etc, etc.   He did nothing short of what everyone was saying to Marshall Henderson that day, and nothing short of what every college student section in the nation says to players.

-Blu

I don't think the student section should be allowed to yell anything they want, and your right some student sections push it to the limit.  They need to be monitored and held responsible for their actions as well.  Like I said, that kid that came out of the student section that tried to fight Aaron Harris, should have been banned in my opinion.  But, of course if your an 18 year old kid, your going to get more leniency because your young.  That's with anything in life.  If your 19 and get a speeding ticket and go to court 9 times out of 10 the judge will let you take a driving class and not let it go on your record, you go in with a speeding ticket at 30, it's going on your record.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ATU HOG on February 09, 2014, 08:20:14 pm
I know that.  But people saying the guy should never be allowed to go to another TTU game, etc, etc.   He did nothing short of what everyone was saying to Marshall Henderson that day, and nothing short of what every college student section in the nation says to players.
Maybe Henderson just brings out the best in people.  The Tech guy had a reputation vs. isolated event at Auburn.  Repeat offender vs. first offense.  Who knows?

hogfan10

Quote from: -Blu on February 09, 2014, 08:12:25 pm
I must have missed them before they got removed.

But, regardless this situation isn't about race at all, to me.  Going to games is suppose to be a family-oriented environment.  I'm more concerned about the kids and their experience, and it pisses me off when idiots like that ruin the experience for the younger fans by doing crap like that.  There's nothing wrong with booing, yelling air-ball chants, and stomping your feet, waving your shirt or whatever else you want to do.  But, when you start yelling profanity, flipping people off, throwing racial comments, saying personal things about players, that's taking it way too far, and I wish we could get every single person that's involved in that type of action banned permanently from the arena.  There's no excuse for being an adult and acting like that.  Especially provoking young college kids that aren't getting paid to deal with this.

I was even upset with the one kid that tried to fight Aaron Harrison when we beat Kentucky at home.  That was embarrassing to me.  I felt he should have been banned, there's no place for immaturity and nonsense like that.  These college kids aren't getting paid to deal with idiots in the crowd that don't know how to act.  If Aaron Harrison would have knocked him out, I would have had no problem with that, because that kid was looking for a fight, and trying to provoke him.

Once again, I agree, nothing worse than having your kids with you, and being seated next to a loud & foul mouthed individual or group.
With that said not all of these college athletes are innocent when fans go overboard. I'm not saying that Smart did anything to provoke this fans taunts/harassment, but I've been to many games football/basketball where the athlete has had no problem with openly taunting the opposing teams fans after a touchdown, dunk, or 3 pointer. Again it doesn't excuse the fans behavior, I'm just saying some of these players don't mind dishing it out either, when things are going their way.

hogfan10

Quote from: -Blu on February 09, 2014, 08:22:50 pm
I don't think the student section should be allowed to yell anything they want, and your right some student sections push it to the limit.  They need to be monitored and held responsible for their actions as well.  Like I said, that kid that came out of the student section that tried to fight Aaron Harris, should have been banned in my opinion.  But, of course if your an 18 year old kid, your going to get more leniency because your young.  That's with anything in life.  If your 19 and get a speeding ticket and go to court 9 times out of 10 the judge will let you take a driving class and not let it go on your record, you go in with a speeding ticket at 30, it's going on your record.

I might be wrong, but didn't the U of Missouri ban the Antlers from congregating at games a while back. They were pretty tuff on opponents, from what I hear.

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 09, 2014, 07:21:23 pm
If I remember correctly he was a Rotnei Clark, before Rotnei Clark.
Clarke was a much better shooter!

Hoggycronopolis

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 09, 2014, 06:28:45 pm
Marcus Smart must have thought he heard something else. Because the way he reacted and what he said immediately after on the court indicate that he heard a racial slur.
yeah, but note the source. Marcus smart is an incredibly manipulative player. He has a whole bunch of compilations of him flopping without being touched on the internet. This kid wants attention. End of story. Something is wrong with this one.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they SMITE you, and then you win"  
-Ghandi

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
-George Carlin

YouCrawl_IQuall

If you try to initiate a fight with a random person for calling you a piece of crap you should probably go get your anger issues checked out.