Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

30 for 30 Bennie Anders

Started by leroyhawg, December 23, 2017, 02:05:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

leroyhawg

I'm all Hog, but if your an old man like me you remember Phi Slama Jama. Guy v. Lewis put together the greatest team to never win a Championship, lots of amazing stories in that stretch of BB.

They had it all, at the time I thought they were the greatest team ever but for some reason I bet against them in the N.C.State game, they were destined to win you could tell, the Jimmie Valvano story. I just scratched the surface, but I would like to hear your memories of this Team and their place in the elite of College Basketball......
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

holeinthewall

This and the UNLV team were the best teams I have seen and I that goes back to 1980 or so for me.

Boston RedHogs

IMHO, that UNLV team is the best college basketball team ever

BrooklynRoss

That '85 Georgetown team that got beat by Villanova in the finals was probably next on the list.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

PonderinHog

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on December 23, 2017, 10:15:45 am
That '85 Georgetown team that got beat by Villanova in the finals was probably next on the list.
Cocaine is a helluva drug...

niels_boar

UNLV could not have handled the best UCLA teams with Kareem and Walton at center.  The big fellas would have shut down Larry Johnson in the middle, and UNLV would have had no answer on D.  Tark would have gone through ten towels watching sky hooks drop. Those teams had NBA guards and forwards as well like Henry Bibby, Jamaal Wilkes, Lucious Allen, Marques Johnson, and Sidney Wicks.  Heck, Walton's backup Swen Nater was a serviceable NBA center.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Biggus Piggus

Phi Slama Jama had amazing athletic ability but crude skills. Olajuwon and Drexler developed great skills in the NBA, but they were not nearly as adept in college.
[CENSORED]!

alohawg

That Larry Johnson led UNLV team that smashed the hogs was ridiculous.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

jchill

Speaking of memories. I was thinking of Chaminade beating number 1 Virginia and superstar Ralph Sampson. I think that's the greatest upset ever in college basketball due to Chaminade being a NAIA school and Sampson was just the most dominant college big man since Wilt.  I think the second biggest shocker was St. Joseph beating Depaul Blue Demons. I think Depaul was undefeated and had Mark Auguire.

jchill

Quote from: jchill on December 23, 2017, 02:11:48 pm
Speaking of memories. I was thinking of Chaminade beating number 1 Virginia and superstar Ralph Sampson. I think that's the greatest upset ever in college basketball due to Chaminade being a NAIA school and Sampson was just the most dominant college big man since Wilt.  I think the second biggest shocker was St. Joseph beating Depaul Blue Demons. I think Depaul was undefeated and had Mark Auguire.

Hogimus Prime

I always thought the UNLV team that won the 90 title was better than the 90-91 team.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: leroyhawg on December 23, 2017, 02:05:33 am
I'm all Hog, but if your an old man like me you remember Phi Slama Jama. Guy v. Lewis put together the greatest team to never win a Championship, lots of amazing stories in that stretch of BB.

They had it all, at the time I thought they were the greatest team ever but for some reason I bet against them in the N.C.State game, they were destined to win you could tell, the Jimmie Valvano story. I just scratched the surface, but I would like to hear your memories of this Team and their place in the elite of College Basketball......

When all your head coach does is roll the balls out to start practice it doesn't matter how talented and well payed you are.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

daBoar

The UCLA team that lost to our Hogs in the Pit in 1978 was a pretty good team.  Greatly surprised by the Hogs.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 23, 2017, 01:48:55 pm
Phi Slama Jama had amazing athletic ability but crude skills. Olajuwon and Drexler developed great skills in the NBA, but they were not nearly as adept in college.

Guy Lewis didn't know the first thing about development of skills.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

alohawg

Quote from: daBoar on December 23, 2017, 04:14:11 pm
The UCLA team that lost to our Hogs in the Pit in 1978 was a pretty good team.  Greatly surprised by the Hogs.

That was a huge win and yes they were very talented. Iirc, David Greenwood was their big star.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

MushroomCloudHog

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on December 23, 2017, 03:43:17 pm
I always thought the UNLV team that won the 90 title was better than the 90-91 team.

The 91 Runnin Rebel team had just one loss all season (in the final 4).  Duke was just destined to beat them after getting their brains beat in the year before in the National Championship.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: MushroomCloudHog on December 24, 2017, 10:02:21 am

The 91 Runnin Rebel team had just one loss all season (in the final 4).  Duke was just destined to beat them after getting their brains beat in the year before in the National Championship.

True but that 89-90 blew Duke out.  Heck the Hogs beat that 90-91 Duke team.  The 89-90 Rebels had a little more depth, but probably splitting hairs with those to Vegas teams

Cinco de Hogo

Other than Arkansas teams there has never been a team I enjoyed watching more than that Houston team.

allhogislost

North Carolina with Jordan ,Worthy, and Sam Perkins was no slouch.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 24, 2017, 12:12:54 pm
Other than Arkansas teams there has never been a team I enjoyed watching more than that Houston team.

For me it was Wooden's Bruins. Except when they had Walton.