Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like it's Chavis?

Started by ricepig, December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugo Bezdek

Most likely he will be let go after the Bowl game and any buyout that A&M owes him will be offset by what he makes at his next job.

Tankster

As mentioned earlier in the thread unless he signed an extension at some point over the last 12 months or so his contract expires end of year.

After issues when he left LSU for A&M I doubt he was inclined to leave prior to end of contract being that it ends so close to bowl game and well before Feb sighing day

Ā 

theFlyingHog

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on December 22, 2017, 12:50:19 pm
According to Wikipedia Chavis is the DC at Arkansas. 😁

I personally think he'd be a solid hire, but he's not worth more than $1.5M annually. No matter what anyone says, the guy has been coaching defense in the SEC for more than 20 years. He's for sure a top 5 defensive coach.
Now it says he is DC for the Elmendorf Transgressors

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 22, 2017, 01:34:20 pm
Now it says he is DC for the Elmendorf Transgressors

Somebody took theology classes...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

navyhog24

Ron Cooper, Terry Joseph, and Terry Price to join Chavis along with bringing back John Scott?

hogcards

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on December 22, 2017, 12:56:17 pm

Who outside of Venables is a bigger name (proven) DC? Grinch at WSU? He is a hot name right now, but he doesn't have the record of success that Chavis has. Who do you think it will be? Those are the only well known DC's.

61 years old.  The A & M defensive units have been awful recently.  Check out their numbers since November of 2016.

I'll pass.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Hawg Life

Quote from: navyhog24 on December 22, 2017, 02:16:28 pm
Ron Cooper, Terry Joseph, and Terry Price to join Chavis along with bringing back John Scott?

I think Brick Haley will be DL coach. We should've hired him instead of Scott.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 11, 2017, 08:05:12 pm
Well, tell the phat bastard to sit at home and let's hire some DC from Missouri St

You think Chavis is phat??
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoggyCat

Whole Chavis isn't the "best DC in all of football", he will without a doubt be the best DC Arkansas has had dating back a couple decades. Yes, I know we had flashes here and there, but a consistent proven DC we haven't had in a Long time.

My concern is his age. Is the A&M falloff due to the "game passing him by"? Is he burnt out?

pghawg1

None of us on these message boards will have any say so who is hired or isn't hired, unless one of these posters is the head coach.

East TN HAWG

Where did you get these names?

secfan30

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 22, 2017, 02:23:54 pm
You think Chavis is phat??

Maybe Chavis is pretty hot and tempting to him. I prefer 25, fit and female. But to each his own.

HogPharmer

Quote from: secfan30 on December 22, 2017, 03:15:32 pm
Maybe Chavis is pretty hot and tempting to him. I prefer 25, fit and female. But to each his own.

I have just the girl for you....

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Ā 

LawyerHog50

Chavis...best DC in the country?

No, not even arguably the best.

"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

PorkSoda

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 22, 2017, 03:21:45 pm
Chavis...best DC in the country?

No, not even arguably the best.

so who is the best DC in the country and what makes you think he is coming to arkansas?

geez you people sure know how take things out of context for your own purposes.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ā€• Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." ā€“ Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HogPharmer

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 22, 2017, 04:00:19 pm
so who is the best DC in the country and what makes you think he is coming to arkansas?

I'm sure he believes that we will not only get Venables, but that Venables would come work here for free because we are a total home run for lateral moves... Especially in leaving a program that is becoming a nationally consistent playoff contender.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

secfan30

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 22, 2017, 03:16:26 pm
I have just the girl for you....

Impressive, most impressive. I've had my share of blonde ex wives. I've moved on to more exotic. Although I'm sure there is a swim coach or an older football coach who will jump on this.

HoggyCat

Quote from: secfan30 on December 22, 2017, 04:13:18 pm
Impressive, most impressive. I've had my share of blonde ex wives. I've moved on to more exotic. Although I'm sure there is a swim coach or an older football coach who will jump on this.

I totally read that in James earl jones mode......

PorkSoda

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." ā€“ Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HogPharmer

pghawg1

Smashmouth2004

Quote from: Tankster on December 22, 2017, 01:33:30 pm
As mentioned earlier in the thread unless he signed an extension at some point over the last 12 months or so his contract expires end of year.

After issues when he left LSU for A&M I doubt he was inclined to leave prior to end of contract being that it ends so close to bowl game and well before Feb sighing day
Dallas Morning News article today said he signed an extension earlier this year which expires Dec 31, 2018 for $1.6M.

PorkSoda

Ā 

HogPharmer

Quote from: pghawg1 on December 22, 2017, 05:14:11 pm
Like her teeth..... :) :) :) :) :)

That's what happens when you drink too many red bulls

BR

who is your source on this?   Or a wild ass guess..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Redhogs

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 22, 2017, 04:00:19 pm

LMAO after a 23 page and counting thread...and it's not even Chavis :P :P
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

HogPharmer

Hawg Life

Quote from: Redhogs on December 22, 2017, 07:41:21 pm
LMAO after a 23 page and counting thread...and it's not even Chavis :P :P

Then, who is it?

HogPharmer

Hawg Life

HogPharmer

Hawg Life

HogPharmer

Hawg Life

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 22, 2017, 08:23:48 pm
I try....

Sometimes too hard...

It's Chavis.. see how easy it is to say something. If you think it's someone else please add to the conversation, if not keep trying too hard. Either way Merry Christmas to you and yours.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 22, 2017, 08:26:19 pm
It's Chavis.. see how easy it is to say something. If you think it's someone else please add to the conversation, if not keep trying too hard. Either way Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I said it was Chavis long before this thread ever existed.

I can say I was one of the first to call it. Based solely upon my sources.

Otherwise...

TexArkHogFan

I don't think anybody on this forum knows who it is going to be.  I will give you my opinion who I think it is not going to be.  Venables or Chavis, neither one.  Venables not available and Chavis doesn't "fit".  We have all heard Morris say he wants players that fit his system, disregarding the stars.  I think the same can be said about coaches.  Chavis may  well be recognized as an elite defensive coach but if he doesn't "fit, then he is not the the chosen one.  We should have a pretty good feel by the end of next week.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

LZH

Quote from: pghawg1 on December 22, 2017, 05:14:11 pm
Like her teeth..... :) :) :) :) :)

That ruined BJ's for the rest of my days.....

Redhogs

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 23, 2017, 08:31:49 am
I don't think anybody on this forum knows who it is going to be.  I will give you my opinion who I think it is not going to be.  Venables or Chavis, neither one.  Venables not available and Chavis doesn't "fit".  We have all heard Morris say he wants players that fit his system, disregarding the stars.  I think the same can be said about coaches.  Chavis may  well be recognized as an elite defensive coach but if he doesn't "fit, then he is not the the chosen one.  We should have a pretty good feel by the end of next week.
Agree.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

BrianG

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 01:33:14 pm
Chavis had twice as much talent at TAMU than he'd have at Arkansas.

How many times is that line going to be used here.  "Don't want that coach or this coach cause he  had so much more talent where he was."   Why is Arkansas in FBS.  Obviously with the talent we get we should be FCS.  Maybe we could win there.  Of course North Dakota St or James Madison would probably have better talent.  Wow...so much confidence.

247Hog

Quote from: BrianG on December 23, 2017, 10:26:14 am
How many times is that line going to be used here.  "Don't want that coach or this coach cause he  had so much more talent where he was."   Why is Arkansas in FBS.  Obviously with the talent we get we should be FCS.  Maybe we could win there.  Of course North Dakota St or James Madison would probably have better talent.  Wow...so much confidence.

It really does get old doesn't it? Some would probably be more happy supporting UCA instead.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

kp72204

Sulla

Quote from: Tankster on December 22, 2017, 01:33:30 pm

He did sign an extension

Sulla

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 22, 2017, 02:28:10 pm
Whole Chavis isn't the "best DC in all of football", he will without a doubt be the best DC Arkansas has had dating back a couple decades. Yes, I know we had flashes here and there, but a consistent proven DC we haven't had in a Long time.

My concern is his age. Is the A&M falloff due to the "game passing him by"? Is he burnt out?

Chavis can't get blood out of a turnip.  Injuries and recruiting failures have meant the linebacking corps was woeful since he's been at A&M, and the secondary hasn't been much better, though we do have some young talent now.

Defensive line has been a strength during his tenure.

He took over one of the worst defenses in the nation, and it was not an overnight fix.  If he'd had a couple more seasons, the defense would have looked much more like those he's known for.

He's a great DC.

Hogwild

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 22, 2017, 01:09:11 pm
Most likely he will be let go after the Bowl game and any buyout that A&M owes him will be offset by what he makes at his next job.

correct-

QuoteTexas A&M and defensive coordinator John Chavis quietly agreed to a one-year contract extension before the start of the 2017 season, records show.

A&M exercised its option to extend Chavis for an additional year. The school is set to pay him $1.6 million in 2018, matching the amount he was set to earn this season. The extension was first reported by USA Today.

It's unclear if Chavis will still be the Aggies' defensive coordinator following the recent coaching change.

It also elaborates on what happens if A&M fires Chavis without cause.

Under those circumstances, the defensive coordinator is still required to look for another job to offsets the remaining amount of the contract that A&M owes him. However, the new deal specifically states Chavis has agreed to make "reasonable and diligent efforts to obtain employment with compensation at market value."

A&M also has the right to request evidence of Chavis' efforts to find another job, a stipulation that was mentioned in the original deal. Mediation to any potential disputes between both sides regarding a future buyout was also added.

TexArkHogFan

From an article in Sports day. Without a defensive coordinator in place, it remains to be seen if the Aggies can sign a few more key players on that side of the ball. Under former coach Kevin Sumlin, the Aggies struggled to land several high-end defensive recruits.

So, if they don't have a defensive coordinator in place, why hasn't Chavis been announced and that is why I don't think he will be.

From the same article.

When you look at why the Aggies struggled to pull in top defensive recruits, the main culprit seems to be the up-tempo offensive scheme used under Kevin Sumlin. Blue-chip recruits want to sign at a school that gives them a high chance of success. I'll always believe the offense's pace was the reason why the Aggies' defense was lacking under defensive coordinator John Chavis. Sumlin made it a point to limit the number of snaps this season, and it helped the defense. With Jimbo running more of a pro-style system, A&M should have a better shot of landing top defensive prospects.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming