Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Year of The Dog

Started by WetSnout, October 11, 2006, 11:47:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WetSnout

How many of you are still excited about the release of this book on October 28th?

HogISH™

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

WetSnout

Does one BIG win mean all is forgiven, or we don't want to know?  Is any publicity good publicity, or will the "negativity" we assume (are told) is in the book surface-to-air our recruiting right when it's gaining MO?

Jaison Black

Definitely looking forward to this.
I love my kids, but this is my baby.http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/razr76/Side.jpg

Rasta Hogmon

Quote from: WetSnout on October 11, 2006, 11:47:37 am
How many of you are still excited about the release of this book on October 28th?
VERY large yawn about the yarn..

MF

"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

WetSnout

My guess is the "cloud" won't be so dark if we're winning.

Ugly Uncle

I'm very interested in reading it.

Negative or not...I want to know what goes on and went on behind the scenes.  I think it will be a very good read.
Retired Radio Host

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: uglyuncle on October 11, 2006, 12:01:37 pm
I'm very interested in reading it.

Negative or not...I want to know what goes on and went on behind the scenes.  I think it will be a very good read.

same here...got mine pre-ordered. Can't wait!

Landonhog

I wish it was coming out after Feb 1....  It probably won't matter, but just in case...

excoach

I pre ordered mine as well.

BloodRedHog

Pre-ordered here, too.

Despite winning, the truth is the truth.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Richard_white

Never heard of the book. 

HogSophist

Quote from: excoach on October 11, 2006, 11:58:22 am
Quote from: KEYS on October 11, 2006, 11:53:59 am

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

paid extra for 2 day delivery-regardless of what it shows/reveals/documents always exciting to read book from local writer about local(state) events.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

1stwordswerewoopig

Can someone attach a poll to this thread?  I think that it would be interesting to know the geographic breakdown of those that plan to buy the book and those that don't.

Northwest Arkansas
Other Arkansas
Out of state

I posted earlier that I didn't think that the book would be that big of a deal outside of the state and maybe not outside of the NWA region.

Others have posted how great the book is selling already.

Will it be a big deal outside the region?  I guess that it could be if there is some "dirt" in there.

And, if that is the case, won't we all here about it on the radio, ESPN, message boards, etc.?  So, why buy the book if you don't have a direct interest in the Springdale program?

PAHOGFAN

PulledPork

I'm out of state, and I have pre-ordered it also!

Pulled out...®

BloodRedHog

October 11, 2006, 01:15:59 pm #20 Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 02:39:09 pm by BloodRedHog
Quote from: 1stwordswerewoopig on October 11, 2006, 01:11:43 pm
Can someone attach a poll to this thread?  I think that it would be interesting to know the geographic breakdown of those that plan to buy the book and those that don't.

Northwest Arkansas
Other Arkansas
Out of state

I posted earlier that I didn't think that the book would be that big of a deal outside of the state and maybe not outside of the NWA region.

Others have posted how great the book is selling already.

Will it be a big deal outside the region?  I guess that it could be if there is some "dirt" in there.

And, if that is the case, won't we all here about it on the radio, ESPN, message boards, etc.?  So, why buy the book if you don't have a direct interest in the Springdale program?

I will say this...if we are 7 -1 and ranked in the top 10 (very possible) the first of November when the book comes out, you can bet ESPN, etc. will be all over the book as we approach the TN game...

WetSnout

My guess is that other SEC HC's will want to take a look at it to see if they can carry around a few copies to leave with recruits, their parents, etc.  Three ways I see it playing out:  1) we're still winning and there is de minimus interest in it as a result; 2) we're still winning, but revelations in it cause embarrasment to coaches and (possibly) players, leading to a "water under the bridge, but lesson learned" response; or 3) we're not winning, Auburn this year has become Texas in '03, and the book is either blamed for all ills (see CLOUD), or leads to unravelling of several employment contracts.  Stay tuned, but winning will definitely hurt sales,

hogfan1

I don't think I will read it, but I am interested to see what's in it (which I'm sure I will get from this site).  I guess if the posts on here get my curiosity up, I may read it. 

I do have one question for all of those who think it will reveal all kinds of bad info on Nutt:  How does that jive with what Hogonit posted during the recruitment that the AR coaches handled themselves with complete class and integrity?

BloodRedHog

Quote from: hogfan1 on October 11, 2006, 02:32:49 pm
I don't think I will read it, but I am interested to see what's in it (which I'm sure I will get from this site).  I guess if the posts on here get my curiosity up, I may read it. 

I do have one question for all of those who think it will reveal all kinds of bad info on Nutt:  How does that jive with what Hogonit posted during the recruitment that the AR coaches handled themselves with complete class and integrity?

Because Hawgonit is close to the situation, but not in the living room of the recruits' house. And by nature of who he is, he tends to be positive.

roothog

My question - does the book shed light on recruiting violations, or just make Nutt and staff look like idiots?
If it is the latter no one outside of being a hog fan is going to care. And of those that do care are the ones that want him gone anyway.
Didn't care about the book two months ago, don't care now.
:razorback: Go Hogs!!!

WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIIEEE

1stwordswerewoopig

Another question, if this book is going to make Arkansas look so bad why were Gus, Mitch, Damian, Ben....so excited about coming?

SpareRib

I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

ahogintexas

Quote from: BloodRedHog on October 11, 2006, 02:40:56 pm
Quote from: hogfan1 on October 11, 2006, 02:32:49 pm

Because Hawgonit is close to the situation, but not in the living room of the recruits' house. And by nature of who he is, he tends to be positive.

Coaches = Gus and Alex

WindyCityHog

Pre-ordered here as well.

Apparently, some seem to have a strong dislike of anything that MIGHT be negative toward the University of Arkansas or Houston Nutt.

Nothing ever wrong with looking at another view.....and I highly doubt Mr. Voigt is a pioneer in the world of college football recruiting....or the following of a great HS team.

SwinedMelon

I am still looking forward to it, and I think everything will be fine.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

1stwordswerewoopig

I ask again, if the book sheds such a bad light on the U of A, why were Gus, Mitch, Damian, Ben...all so happy to come?

pikehog

have ordered it already.

Hong Kong Sooey

MF

October 11, 2006, 03:26:36 pm #33 Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 03:29:11 pm by MF
Quote from: 1stwordswerewoopig on October 11, 2006, 03:13:56 pm
I ask again, if the book sheds such a bad light on the U of A, why were Gus, Mitch, Damian, Ben...all so happy to come?

From what I have heard the book does not shed "bad light" on the University as a whole just certain aspects of certain people as well as giving insight (good and bad) into how the recruiting process was handled.

But to answer your question maybe they thought they could make a difference in spite of the negatives they perceived.  So far I would say they are making a big difference.
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Rasta Hogmon

Quote from: HogSophist on October 11, 2006, 01:08:57 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

paid extra for 2 day delivery-regardless of what it shows/reveals/documents always exciting to read book from local writer about local(state) events.
I heard that Tommy Tubberville, Fat FAcePhil,Stever Spurier all had ordered several copies....

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Rasta Hogmon on October 11, 2006, 03:33:57 pm
Quote from: HogSophist on October 11, 2006, 01:08:57 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I heard that Tommy Tubberville, Fat FAcePhil,Stever Spurier all had ordered several copies....
The truth shall set you free, Rasta.  Don't be afraid of the truth, embrace it.

1stwordswerewoopig

Quote from: MF on October 11, 2006, 03:26:36 pm

From what I have heard the book does not shed "bad light" on the University as a whole just certain aspects of certain people as well as giving insight (good and bad) into how the recruiting process was handled.

But to answer your question maybe they thought they could make a difference in spite of the negatives they perceived.  So far I would say they are making a big difference.
I was just thinking that maybe the stuff in the book either isn't that bad or isn't true.  Why would a kid turn down opportunities to play for Notre Dame, Florida, Auburn...if their recruiting was handled so terribly.

Is it because Gus was hired?  Is that what will make the University "look bad?"  That's what most of the country thinks now so that won't be a big shock.

ahogintexas

IMHO....

For Gus it was a huge jump in his career, which has been explain in many other posts here. Typically it takes 'forever' to work you way through the ranks whether it is though 1AA, then 1A coach, then to a coordinator's position if you are lucky. AND NUTT was said that it would be Gus's Offense, ie: " I am going to turn Gus loose". SO, if I was told I would probably double my salary, be an OC in the SEC without waiting forever, don't have to move my family, and I can run my offensive philosophy, I would be 'tickle pink' myself.

As for the Springdale 4 - They have so much respect for Gus, and they truly believe in him, then why not continue their winning ways with whom you trust with the offense you know inside and out, were sold on that Gus was in charge of the O, and be close to your friends and family. Everyone was in a win-win situation. I can see where everyone would be 'happy'.

Then as they say.....things changed when they showed up for practice per se. Just read past post in Hogville, it is well discussed

Albert Einswine

If the things written in the book are fabricated for the sole purpose of making Houston Nutt look bad,  that would be considered negative.

If the things written in the book are true and make Houston Nutt look bad,  it's just the truth.  Nothing more,  nothing less.  I wish folks wouldn't prejudge the content of a book no one's read.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PulledPork

Quote from: roothog on October 11, 2006, 02:41:38 pm
My question - does the book shed light on recruiting violations, or just make Nutt and staff look like idiots?
If it is the latter no one outside of being a hog fan is going to care. And of those that do care are the ones that want him gone anyway.
Didn't care about the book two months ago, don't care now.
:razorback: Go Hogs!!!

and yet you take the time to post in a thread concerning something you don't care about....hmmmmm

Pulled out...

roothog

Posting a thread is a little different than reading a book. The post was started with a question and I answered it. I don't care about the book, things will shake out in the end one way or another.

Roothog out...
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIIEEE

DEVICEHIGH

Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

PulledPork

Quote from: roothog on October 11, 2006, 04:23:35 pm
Posting a thread is a little different than reading a book. The post was started with a question and I answered it. I don't care about the book, things will shake out in the end one way or another.

Roothog out...
no it isn't, it would be like driving out of your way to see something that doesn't even interest you.

Pulled out...

Factual Fiction

Are there any pictures in the book...............................................I have to have pictures..............................

fullfan

I am thinking the best part of the book is the ending.  Mitch, Ben, Damian, Andrew, and Gus all finished the "Year of the Dog" undefeated.  All willingly weighed their options considered everything you have read in the previous chapters and became Hogs and lived happily ever after.  :)

Cold_Roses_80

what is this book, what is it about, and where can I order a copy?