Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fans, Don't let THIS happen to you...

Started by Reaganite, September 21, 2006, 07:32:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Reaganite

September 21, 2006, 07:32:45 pm Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 08:25:40 pm by Reaganite
I think I know what's going on here with Feral (taking off his dark helmet) and many Huggers. 

It's Battered Fan Syndrome, very similar to battered woman syndrome.

From divorcenet.com:
http://www.divorcenet.com/states/oregon/or_art02

"To understand battered woman's fan syndrome, one must first understand how someone becomes a "battered woman fan". According to Dr. Lenore E. Walker, the nation's most prominent expert on battered women fans, a woman fan must experience at least two complete battering cycles before she can be labeled a "battered woman fan". The cycle has three distinct phases.

First is the tension-building phase (UNLV), followed by the explosion or acute battering incident (2003- Auburn for me, followed by laugher loses to USC), culminating in a calm, loving respite - often referred to as the honeymoon phase (Hire's Gus, gets the players to run his offense). Walker, L., The Battered Woman (1979).

It is also important to understand why battered women fans stay in abusive relationships. The Court in People v. Aris, 215 Cal App 3d 1194, 264 Cal Rptr 167, 178 (1989) stated that "battered women fans tend to stay in abusive relationships for a number of reasons." Among those reasons: women fans are still positively reinforced during the honeymoon phase; women HUGGERS tend to be the peacekeepers in relationships - the ones responsible for making the marriage work; adverse economic consequences (Who else could recruit here?); it is more dangerous to leave than to stay (What if the next coach is worse); prior threats by batterer to kill self, or children; or to abscond with children (Herring's offer to hang himself); lost self-esteem (Huggers); and no psychological energy to leave - resulting in a learned helplessness or psychological paralysis."

Fans... Don't let THIS happen to YOU:

;)

Reaganite

Truth hurts.   The first step to victory is recognizing you're a co-dependant.

Feralhog

It was funny...................

The first time I read it.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Reaganite

Geez dude.  I simply pointed out how huggers and battered women shared similar traits. 

How is it belittling to point that out?

Or could it be that it struck an eerie nerve?

BTW, calling someone a piece of .... really adds to YOUR credibility.

jdhoover

This might be the worst thread I have ever read.  Somebody please put this where it belongs.  You are a piece of work, dude.
Don't mistake my support of the Razorbacks and their coaches with the acceptance of mediocrity.

Immensehog

Yeah!  My uncle was a battered fan.  This is ludicrous.
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

Hawgdawgrain

Nothing funny about the comparison...

Especially for those whose mothers might have been beaten by an alcoholic father...

Hmmmm...

Very poor taste....

Please don't tell me to lighten up...PorkOpine is right on this one...

Reaganite

I was just talking to Feral via PM and thought I'd share it with you:

"I'm a cop and I've helped more battered women out of abusive relationships than they'll ever know.  I've helped them only to go to court and have them basically call ME a liar in front of the judge. 

They are SO dependant on the "relationship" they've built, they'd rather lie about what happened to them in open court and force me to pull out the statements they wrote the night of the abuse, the photos, etc. so that the status quo won't change."

I just thought it was an interesting analogy.  It wasn't meant to be in poor taste.  The fact is you'll find that cops have a twisted sense of humor most often to get through a job that, at times, IS quite twisted.

So if it offended your sensibilities I apologize.

ConwayHog

You guys are like a bunch of women fighting.  I'm glad halftime is almost over, even if the game is sorry.

mudslog

Hawgdawgrain

Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 21, 2006, 08:26:34 pm
You guys are like a bunch of women fighting.  I'm glad halftime is almost over, even if the game is sorry.

Now that's funny...

Just using the board for the reason it was created...

To opinionize...

Hawgdawgrain

Quote from: Reaganite on September 21, 2006, 08:23:59 pm
I was just talking to Feral via PM and thought I'd share it with you:

"I'm a cop and I've helped more battered women out of abusive relationships than they'll ever know.  I've helped them only to go to court and have them basically call ME a liar in front of the judge. 

They are SO dependant on the "relationship" they've built, they'd rather lie about what happened to them in open court and force me to pull out the statements they wrote the night of the abuse, the photos, etc. so that the status quo won't change."

I just thought it was an interesting analogy.  It wasn't meant to be in poor taste.  The fact is you'll find that cops have a twisted sense of humor most often to get through a job that, at times, IS quite twisted.

So if it offended your sensibilities I apologize.

Appreciate your service to the community...

I'm sensitive to the subject because at 5 yrs old I watched my drunk father plant his size 12 cowboy boot into my mother's backside...

She wanted to make it work, had good intentions, "let's stay together for the kids", etc...

She left him finally but not after her fair share of abuse...

My own baggage I know...but it is what it is...

Thanks the apology...I feel it was sincere...and thanks again for your service to our community.

Reaganite

I'm sorry to hear about that.

Wasn't my desire to dredge up bad memories for people, just wanted to come with a different angle on all this. 

And let me say this...  I absolutely LONG for the day that there will be no huggers or darksiders.  I want the division to be over and us to focus on the future with a young, talented offense and the rebirth of an Arkansas defense that regains it's edge and nastiness. 

I just know that that will not happen with the current HC and his entrenched staff.

HdN is damaged goods to too many fans. 

HatfieldHog

Man, your post took some time, I laughed my head off.  That's just creative.  Hey, man, now you know the cost of being "politically incorrect."

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Root Hog

Quote from: PorkOpine on September 21, 2006, 07:45:22 pm
Quote from: Reaganite on September 21, 2006, 07:41:24 pm
Truth hurts.   The first step to victory is recognizing you're a co-dependant.

If you feel the need to belittle battered women in order to secure a football coach, you're one morally corrupt POS.

That is NOT belittling battered women.  It is belittling Houston Nutt and that's why you don't like it, Hugger.

BattleHawg

Razorbacks#1

Whoa! Obviously I need to find another board.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

SquirrelMasterFunk

Its sad how serious people will take things.
It's just a joke.
I don't think Reaganite meant anything by.
:razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:
user #9084 (the poster formerly known as cbad)

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

Intelligent insults are too often wasted on the uncommonly stupid.

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

HogFaninGA