Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Really Important Stuff: Music for the Games

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, August 18, 2006, 09:44:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

I think most would agree that the pre-game atmosphere at the stadium is somewhat lacking in terms of really getting the fans fired up and rowdy.  And there's not much to help keep up the intesity during long time outs and half time.  No offense to the band but "duh duh duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh duh, duh duh duh, Go Hogs Go, only takes me so far"  That and "Hey Baby" have their place but we need to take it to a whole nother level.

With that in mind here are some songs I would like to here at the game, before or during.  You know what I'm talking about, when they come on the radio you can't resist stepping on the gas getting in the left lane and taking off, or dropping the seat back, lowering the windows, and letting the whole neighborhood know what's on.  My wife hates it when I do that in the minivan.

Here's my commentary on #1 for pre game.  The guitar solo starts and the jumbo tron starts showing great runs or pass plays in Hog history, or some wicked hits.  Then the first time when the song says "You've Been THUNDERSTRUCK"  a clip of Dmac or Felix taking it to the house.

I'm interested to hear your take and songs as well.  Let's get a Razorback top 100 going. 

Thunderstruck--AC/DC
Who Made Who--AC/DC
Enter Sandman--Metallica
Fire--Jimi Hendrix
Rock and Roll All Night--Kiss
Under Pressure--Queen
Quiet Right--Come on Feel the Noise
Burning Down the House--Talking Heads
Wild Wild West--Kool Moe Dee
Hair of the Dog--Nazareth
Tricky--RunDMC
Up in Here--DMX
Ridin Dirty--Chamillionaire
Paradise City, Welcome to the Jungle, or Live and Let Die--G-n-R
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

bosshawg38

T-N-T - AC/DC
Gods of War - Def Leppard
Rock of Ages - Def Leppard
Let It Go - Def Leppard
Tease Me, Please Me - Scorpions
Denial - Sevendust
Enemy - Sevendust
Until It Sleeps - Metallica
Stillborn - Black Label Society
Down With The Sickness - Disturbed

There's a few to get ya fired up

Oklahawg

Live and Let Die is not by G-n-R originally. Its been redone by a number of groups in a variety of formats. Its one of the few on the lists that "translate" to instrumental band versions.

Thinking harder rock, and recent at that, I've heard HS bands play Stone Temple Pilots and it works well. You've got to have something that you hum along to. Most grunge and hard rock doesn't do that.

STP and Pearl Jam do a better job than most rockers with the melody thingy.

Vertigo by U2 would work; the UA pep band played "Desire" back in the day. Robken era.

Until it Sleeps might work, but I doubt it.

Ingredients:
1. arranger to take the original and convert it to band music
2. willingness of band to rehearse it enough to know if it "works"
3. opportunity and "courage" to actually use it

That's a steep effort when the UA director is the musical equivalent of Rick Shaeffer.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Immensehog

They need to lose that "Everybody knows that we're Hogwild" song they play while showing highligts.-It's terrible.

Troubled Wine-Pride and Glory
Sureshot-Beastie Boys
Animals-Nickelback
Bring the Noise-Public Enemy
Freak Out-311
Panama-Van Halen
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

Oklahawg

Van Halen wrote a lot that translates well.

Hard to get anything rap or hip-hop beyond laughter with a music arranger.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PORK CHOP

sweet leaf- black sabbath
flying high again- ozzy osborne
2 minutes to midnight-iron maiden
the number of the beast- iron maiden
electric funeral-black sabbath

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 18, 2006, 10:12:10 pm
Van Halen wrote a lot that translates well.

Hard to get anything rap or hip-hop beyond laughter with a music arranger.

The band does need to update it's playlist but I'm more interested in the actual versions over the sound system turned up to 11.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

cobb44585

Adam Stokes

If someone could morph it a little, we could always have "Who let the Hogs out," originally by the Baha Men, good for when the team is running through the "A".  I'm just not as much a fan of the old stuff.

cobb44585

Quote from: ajs15razorman on August 18, 2006, 10:40:33 pm
  If someone could morph it a little, we could always have "Who let the Hogs out,"  good for when the team is running through the "A". 

dear jeebus no!!!

Immensehog

If someone could morph it a little, we could always have "Who let the Hogs out," originally by the Baha Men, good for when the team is running through the "A".  I'm just not as much a fan of the old stuff.

Yikes.

cobb44585

i have remember the name by fort minor on my my-space profile with a slide show of some razorback pics and a bad ars video of dmac...check it out...search for razorbackfan26

cobb44585

Reaganite

How about Hot for Teacher?

A hellacious drum intro and my mind goes back to the 80's  :-))))

FBPLAYER65

I sure hope they don't listen to any of these suggestions. No buttrawk please. Let's try to keep it modern. Modern rap. Some metal.

Hollywood_HOGan

True we do need some better music.

Hawg Wild by Hank Williams is not exactly one of the favorites.

If we played Enter Sandman before the team came out on 9-2, that place would come apart. It'll never ever happen though.

If I knew a darn thing about posting a music file i would put "Rise Up" by Disciple on here. One of the best hype songs Ive ever heard.

cobb44585

seriously....yall need to listen to the song on my my-space profile while watching the clip of dmac and the pics....gets ya pumped!!!

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: cobb44585 on August 18, 2006, 11:27:08 pm
seriously....yall need to listen to the song on my my-space profile while watching the clip of dmac and the pics....gets ya pumped!!!

link?

cobb44585

since it snippes the my space link i will have to put spaces in it...so just put it all together when you type it in your address bar
  http://www.my space.com/razorbackfan26

cobb44585

wishyjoshy

Who are we trying to get excited here the fans, the players, or both?
I say both.  To do that, we will need to put together a mix tape (yes I said mix tape) of some Rap and then some Classics. 

Hollywood_HOGan

cobb44585

lol....thanks! im not much of a my space person but the wife talked me into it

cobb44585

cobb44585

......commentator says: " and look at the young man go....nobody in the building will catch him"

Hellmet

I wouldn't mind hearing some metal before the game, maybe even some rap.  But once the band enters the stadium it's college atmosphere time.  Let them do their thing.

geoffhog

Quote from: Fresh Legs on August 18, 2006, 11:44:26 pm

No way!  You oughta be banned for 7 days after that comment.

Play all that trash you want but when the hogs run through the A there is only one song that should ever be played...the FIGHT SONG!!!

My favorite part of the pregame is when the band forms the 'A' in the South End Zone and heads north to get the team.  My only complaint is that they do it too early.  Man, I'm getting chills and pumped up just thinking about it!!!! 

Only two weeks and Fresh Legs is getting fired up!  I better save my legs though.
Ok...I agree with you there.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

bosshawg38

Can you believe we only have TWO WEEKS LEFT?? What will I do with the time in between???

big boes

how about no music.  it's tradition-rich college football, not a high school party.

stronguard

Here's my 2 cents

Kickstart My Heart - Motley Crue
Hells Bells - AC/DC
Encore - JayZ
Pump It - Black Eyed Peas
Bawitabatabah (sp) - Kid Rock
Bop Gun - Ice Cube & George Clinton

If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

HogJoeHelm

Here's the thing to remember...

I was a DJ for a long time, and before that, I sang in a band for 7 years.  When it comes to playing music for a crowd, especially a very large crowd, it is not about what you like.  It's about what will work.  Metal.... No.  Some, maybe, but no...  Rap, some, but for the most part, no...

You need to play something that will pump them up, but they need to know the song.  I could hear a really kickass song, but if I don't know the song, I won't pay attention to it at a halftime show.  It's a hard thing to do, but you have to seperate your personal music taste when choosing music for a crowd.

and "who let the hogs out?"

Could USC laugh at us any harder.....

Oklahawg

I don't know what mental midget paid big $$ to convince the band to let Big Smith on the field but it was a major mistake.

No offense to any posting music ideas here: all but 2-3 of the song titles are nothing songs. By definition of what we are talking about, you need songs that will last the ages and are recognizeable from day one. If its a part of halftime then it needs to be musical and show off the band, and can be unrecognizeable by name. More than fine.

Stuff over loudspeakers? Please. Not once the band enters the stadium. Do you all know anything about the game of college football?

I'll repeat my original notion: the songs listed may work well in their original format, but would suck, and I mean a major suck, if translated into something a marching band performed.

House music--canned/pre-recorded stuff that is used when the band can't perform (post "A" while re-entering the bleachers)--that fits what might work (so you have a model):
Start Me Up - Rolling Stones
Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers version

If you want a couple of more modernish selections, and I'm stretching the definition because most stuff from the past 10 years hasn't smelled a melody:
Can't Get There From Here - REM
Interstate Love Song - STP
Rescue Me - Alarm

I still think that using U2's intro to "Where the Streets Have No Name" would be a cool intro.

Cold_Roses_80

Elevation - by U2 would be good
Crazy Train  - by Ozzy

or if you want both Rap & Metal
they should do one of the  Jay-Z / Linkin Park collabs like Numb/Encore

Oklahawg

Elevation and Vertigo are both good U2 selections.

arkhogdog61

no freaking rap this ain't no gangster party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GO HOGS
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

rzrbaxfan

I don't really have a problem with "Hog Wild" by Hank, my only question is why is it when they play it you can barely hear it, but yet the excedrin promos are loud enough to jar you out of your seat.  Maybe trying to give you a headache so you will buy some.

It was already mentioned, but Hair of the Dog...heck just the first 30 seconds of it, will make any fan or player want to kick some butt.  Another one might be the intro to Girls Girls Girls by Motley Crue.  Can you tell im old school?

ehogfan08

Quote from: arkhogdog61 on August 19, 2006, 09:05:01 am
you're dumb.

But yeah, I was definately thinking about having some Jay-Z/Linkin Park Collision Course stuff.
Or maybe...like a custom mix of some songs. Something with a cool intro at least.

And please get rid of hank williams.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Cresthog

Whoever said "Who let the hogs out" needs to just sit down and think about that for a second.

Also, most of you are older and wishing that the stadium would be filled with big hair bands like Van Halen and Whitesnake. C'mon fellas. We gotta have something during warm ups that the players can listen to and really get hyped up on. As they say in Memphis....we need CRUNK ,music.

kdogstew

I realize it is played often at Professional events, but I still like hearing Ants Marching by Dave Mathews at sporting events.  Seem like the fans always get up and do a little jig to it.

HogJoeHelm

Quote from: arkhogdog61 on August 19, 2006, 09:05:01 am

That guys about as open minded as I thought a deer hunter would be.

RedRiverHog

What happened to the pep song the band used to play back in the day (they still play it now but not the same) when we had the crazy band director/? that ran around the stadium and pumped the fans, with the drum beat pounding and at the right time everyone said "we're gonna beat the hell out of you" and then the rest of the song would start.

Do any of you remember this?
Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

Immensehog

I believe this is the first thread of the week that did not turn into rojo bashing.

Good work folks.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Immensehog on August 19, 2006, 04:39:37 pm
I believe this is the first thread of the week that did not turn into rojo bashing.

Good work folks.

That's what I was hoping for a little distraction.  I see some really good suggestions too.  I making a mix tape as we speak.

PORK CHOP

after a first half a$$ whoopin by our hogs we should play dazed and confused for the rubbers

UADrummer

Guys I gotta say that I disagree here, I think a big part of the college atmosphere is the college bands.  If you want to hear these songs over the speakers go to a pro stadium.  I will admit that the band needs to update the playlist with some new songs that will get the fans a little more excited, but I think that is a job for them, not the loud speakers.