Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wow, what is Baylor doing...

Started by BattleHawg, July 28, 2006, 04:17:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BattleHawg

this year to get so many commits??  And many of them are considered to be pretty damn good players with multiple stars.

I mean, doesn't baylor usually have like 3 commits at this point, and from 1-star players? 
Another site is reporting they now have a commit from DT/DE Adrian Campbell, whom the Hogs and some other bigtime schools were recruiting.

Adrian is from the Dallas area, so maybe he just wanted to stay close to home?

It's just interesting how all in the sudden baylor is a recruiting giant and a destination alot of kids wanna go. 
hmmm...

BH

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: BattleHawg on July 28, 2006, 04:17:00 pm
this year to get so many commits??  And many of them are considered to be pretty damn good players with multiple stars.

I mean, doesn't Baylor usually have like 3 commits at this point, and from 1-star players? 
Another site is reporting they now have a commit from DT/DE Adrian Campbell, whom the Hogs and some other bigtime schools were recruiting.

It's just interesting how all in the sudden Baylor is a recruiting giant and a destination alto of kids wanna go. 
hmmm...

BH

Their doing a Ole Miss and offering before even evaluating (academic status) - anyone & everyone because quite a few won't qualify so its kinda like get as many as you can and let the ones who don't make it fall by the wayside.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

jkcrunch

They also hired a pretty decent coach,  but you are dead on with the offer everyone whether they can read or not strategy

BPPig

I wouldn't jump on the Baylor bandwagon until after Feb 14th or so. A lot can happen in that timespan. Some of these coaches that are pressuring kids into early commits are going to bite when the kid evaluates all the folks the school is recruiting. Happens every year.

Sao Ming

Quote from: BPPig on July 28, 2006, 04:45:53 pm
I wouldn't jump on the Baylor bandwagon until after Feb 14th or so. A lot can happen in that timespan. Some of these coaches that are pressuring kids into early commits are going to bite when the kid evaluates all the folks the school is recruiting. Happens every year.

I think Baylor is entitled to do what they think will work best for them.  They are hustling to turn the corner in the big 12 and I commend them for it 100%.  Morriss annd the new LB coach GJ Kinne Sr. (2004 National HS Coach of the Year - Canton, TX) is to Baylor what Gus is to us.  He is a phenomenal young coach who provides exactly what BU needs, desire, intensity and a never say die attitude.  No pun intended.

Some here discredited my thread a few days ago re: Baylor hurting our recruiting.  Well, I'm here to tell you once more, if BU wins you can see less of the Texas 100 consider us.  BU gives them just one more option over UT/TT/TCU/ATM etc.  What then?

J_Ville_Devils_Den

I mean, doesn't Baylor usually have like 3 commits at this point, and from 1-star players? 

It's just interesting how all in the sudden Baylor is a recruiting giant and a destination alot of kids wanna go. 
hmmm...

BH

Calling Baylor a recruiting giant is like calling us a Recruiting Juggernaut.  Not even close.
Their avg star rating with 24 recuits at this point 2.42.  Last year they finished at 2.34; 61st overall.  2005 they were 2.35; 62nd overall.  According to Rivals.
Member Number:  #329

Major Payne: Do not attempt to valid my authority. I have eight weeks to turn you gaggling maggots into a well-discipline cadet unit. From this day forward your sorry asses belong to me. You will not eat, sleep, drink, blow your nose or dig in your buts without my say so. Know this, killing is my business, ladies, and business is good.

piggly wiggly

When they (Baylor) start taking away recruits from Texas and O.U., I'll start to worry.

Sao Ming

Quote from: piggly wiggly on July 28, 2006, 05:23:30 pm
When they (Baylor) start taking away recruits from Texas and O.U., I'll start to worry.

Um, we don't take recruits from UT and OU right now...are you worried?

bigred7987

Lately nobody takes them from Texas but we have taken some from Oklahoma unless you just ignored the whole other baylor thread Sao

Sao Ming

The state of Oklahomo or OU front runners?  Forgive me.

bigred7987

People that OU wants, can't expect to get every recruit that we both go after when we having losing seasons but we still get some, or do you need a refresher? Tony Ugoh, Chris Houston, Marcus Shavers,

bigredhogs

I mean, doesn't baylor usually have like 3 commits at this point, and from 1-star players? 

It's just interesting how all in the sudden baylor is a recruiting giant and a destination alot of kids wanna go. 
hmmm...

BH

hmmm...

BH

Baylor a recruiting Giant.  I hope you are not serious.   Looks more like Vandys rankings a bunch of two stars and a few three stars.  It is disturbing thou if it is true we offered this kid and Baylor out recruited us.  I hope it only means that better DEs are on the radar.

Sao Ming

I see your point about some recruiting wins in Ugoh/Houston etc...but 3 wins in several years does not a contender make.  Again, Baylor is Baylor, but I sincerely believe that if they step up in the Big 12 even a little bit kids worth thier salt will go there for no other reason than it's close and they like the Texas exposure.  It happens.  We see it with native Arkansan talent all of the time.   

bigred7987

Not really that easy to recruit a player here when Arkansas is 4-7 and Oklahoma is in the BCS every other year.  When that changes it will be an even playing field with Oklahoma.  I'm not debating the Texas one, but just about every school in the nation could claim that loss. 

BPPig

If all the kids that Baylor is getting in early on are qualified then I commend them. I bet a few aren't. I don't mean to offend anyone but if  we can't hang with a Baptist University in Waco TX then we are in big trouble.

AR's historical recruiting in TX has been with players rated in the 60-100 range. Back in the day a lot of those players were better than top 10 players in AR. That is no longer the case. We get a player here and there out of TX that is rated higher but not normally. We also almost never win on a TX kid if TX is recruiting him. It's the nature of the beast. I am much happier with the improvement of AR HS football and the fact that we are back in E. OK then worried about losing ground to Baylor in TX.

HDN is one lucky dude. He is sitting in the right place at the right time and all he has to do is not screw it up. I figure it is 50/50 on the last part.

bigred7987

Would you people stop, if we were getting these commitments you guys would be saying we aren't going after the top players and now that Baylor is getting these guys you are saying we are getting beat in recruiting by Baylor.  Take a step back and think about what your saying for once, this is ridiculous

BattleHawg

Quote from: J_Ville_Devils_Den on July 28, 2006, 05:00:52 pm
Calling Baylor a recruiting giant is like calling us a Recruiting Juggernaut.  Not even close.

I was being a little sarcastic, maybe I should've noted that.  I don't actually believe baylor is a recruiting "giant".
I just meant that their recruiting is so much more than it has been.

BH

BattleHawg

Quote from: bigredhogs on July 28, 2006, 07:07:28 pm
Baylor a recruiting Giant.  I hope you are not serious.  

Again, as I stated above, I was being somewhat sarcastic about it.

Didn't realize I'd get some people stirredup over making a statement, while definitely meaning what I meant it to say, that obviously had [SARCASM] in it.  We're talking about baylor here.
My point was the immediate, huge difference in their recruiting in less than a year.

BH

Sao Ming

Quote from: bigred7987 on July 28, 2006, 10:59:29 pm
Would you people stop, if we were getting these commitments you guys would be saying we aren't going after the top players and now that Baylor is getting these guys you are saying we are getting beat in recruiting by Baylor.  Take a step back and think about what your saying for once, this is ridiculous

Good god, don't make me get my list back out and show you OUR guys with ZERO stars.  Tap the brakes bro.

BPPig

Rivals has updated it's list. Our only 2 star rival recruit right now is Dials. The others are all 3 stars except for Freeman at 4. We have a decent class started.

Some had a really nice display of the recruits with their stars and pics they posted once here. I wish I could find it again and I wish they would sticky it for this years class and add to it as we get more commitments.

Oklahawg

We need to let go of the star rankings for a bit. Who fits our needs? Who is a true fit for our schemes and who will need to morph into something else to fit? Think about Reggie Banks and Lucas Jackson. They were both 4-star recruits whose size/skill/speed didn't translate neatly to the SEC. We had to tinker with weight (that they couldn't carry) hoping to bulk them up to a position their speed was matched with.

Baylor does compare with Ole Miss, a bit. The theory is to hope like heck your evals are good and that you are jumping on players before they explode as seniors. You wrap up a prospect who goes up the charts as a senior.

You wonder about UA's success if they were to work as hard at getting the easy-to-find prospects as they do the lesser knowns who have similar skill sets. Think about Matterial Richardson, for example. The latest in a long line of guys that we scoured film to find and then he turns into an all-conference type of player. There were other players with that type of skill in that region of Texas. We didn't recruit them as hard. Worked out, but the margin for error is greater with a "diamond in the rough" than it is for a top 250 player.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Razorjacks

The ghost of Grant Taff is helping Baylor. He ate a worm to fire up his team once.

hog37

hmmm...

BH

hmmm...

BH

Baylor a recruiting Giant.  I hope you are not serious.   Looks more like Vandys rankings a bunch of two stars and a few three stars.  It is disturbing thou if it is true we offered this kid and Baylor out recruited us.  I hope it only means that better DEs are on the radar.

Do you guys really think that these so called  recruiting experts (at their desks) looking at highlight films and a kid in shorts actually have the ability to better judge a players football abilities than D1 coaches.  Get real, star ratings are all about marketing and how a kid looks in shorts.  These coaches would NOT offer players who they didn't think could contribute.  Haven't you all noticed that a recruit is suddenly rated as a top player by Otis once the Hogs offer him.  Where is that rating before the Hogs offer. 

Cresthog

Quote from: bigred7987 on July 28, 2006, 10:59:29 pm

THANK YOU BIGRED!!!!

+1 for you man, thank you for speaking the truth!

Sao Ming

Cresthog, I am very curious to know if you know for sure who our top recruits are for this year, and how many little yellow "Stars" are next to each.  I think your endorsement above wouold be worth nothing if you truly did know. 

On to bigger and better things for me.  Clearly all messages are being lost on this and other recruiting threads.  I'll be back in January when the truth is revealed.

bigred7987

QuoteOn to bigger and better things for me.  Clearly all messages are being lost on this and other recruiting threads.  I'll be back in January when the truth is revealed.
good cya...not like you could ever get involved in a meaningful debate if there was ever someone there to debate your opinion. 

BattleHawg

July 29, 2006, 05:29:37 pm #26 Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 05:31:22 pm by BattleHawg
Quote from: hog37 on July 29, 2006, 10:55:57 am
Do you guys really think that these so called  recruiting experts (at their desks) looking at highlight films and a kid in shorts actually have the ability to better judge a players football abilities than D1 coaches.  Get real, star ratings are all about marketing and how a kid looks in shorts.  These coaches would NOT offer players who they didn't think could contribute.  Haven't you all noticed that a recruit is suddenly rated as a top player by Otis once the Hogs offer him.  Where is that rating before the Hogs offer. 

And yet another poster misses my point.
The point is this alone:

THE FACT THAT BAYLOR IS GETTING COMMITS FROM LOTS MORE PROSPECTS THAN IT USUALLY DOES AT THE SAME POINT IN THE YEAR THAN IT HAS IN THE PREVIOUS 294 YEARS OF RECRUITING FOOTBALL. 
ALSO, THE TALENT LEVEL OF THEM(COMMITS) APPEARS TO BE THAT OF MUCH BETTER PLAYERS WHO ARE CONSIDERED MORE TALENTED AND MORE REPSECTED BY SCOUT, COACHES, ETC THAT DO THAT TYPE OF THING.
I'M SAYING, 'WHAT IS BAYLOR DOING TO WOW THESE GUYS THAT THEY HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO DO IN THE PAST??'  THIS IS HAPPENING OVERNITE FOR THEM...
SOUNDS STRANGE TO ME.

Hopefully I have made it more clear this time.

BH

Sao Ming

July 30, 2006, 02:55:18 am #27 Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 02:56:55 am by Sao Ming
BH, the point escapes most everyone especially BigRed et al.  Dont fret.  It's pretty apparent to some.

I'll just add this as well.  When WE dismiss the Texas Top 100, as a fanbase, we are either ignorant or doomed. Pick your poison.

razorback44

Quote from: hog37 on July 29, 2006, 10:55:57 am

hmmm...

BH

hmmm...

BH

Baylor a recruiting Giant.  I hope you are not serious.   Looks more like Vandys rankings a bunch of two stars and a few three stars.  It is disturbing thou if it is true we offered this kid and Baylor out recruited us.  I hope it only means that better DEs are on the radar.

Uhh...the rating of recruits actually tends to drop after we offer them.  That is why people bitch that their is a bias against us. 
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

cubbie

Do these kids not know that baylor is a hard school.
If you were a Hotdog would you eat yourself? I know I would.

bigred7987

btw Adrian Campbell just de-committed and is now wanting to take a visit here for the USC game

Hawgballz

Quote from: bigred7987 on July 31, 2006, 01:17:38 am
btw Adrian Campbell just de-committed and is now wanting to take a visit here for the USC game

Now that is good news.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Hogstocking

July 31, 2006, 11:01:51 am #32 Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:05:08 am by Piggy Hogstocking
Quote from: BPPig on July 29, 2006, 09:18:14 amSome had a really nice display of the recruits with their stars and pics they posted once here. I wish I could find it again and I wish they would sticky it for this years class and add to it as we get more commitments.

thanks for the compliment.

I converted all our current verbals profiles to a gif image in my sig line but the file was to large.  I haven't had time to compress it, but I will soon.

Hawgballz

Quote from: Piggy Hogstocking on July 31, 2006, 11:01:51 am
Quote from: BPPig on July 29, 2006, 09:18:14 amSome had a really nice display of the recruits with their stars and pics they posted once here. I wish I could find it again and I wish they would sticky it for this years class and add to it as we get more commitments.

thanks for the compliment.

I converted all our current verbals profiles to a gif image in my sig line but the file was to large.  I haven't had time to compress it, but I will soon.

Piggy, I had been looking for that also.  +1 for you
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

BPPig

Thanks Piggy. I look forward to seeing that again. It was sweet.