Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mitch will be a summer mystery

Started by mikeirwin, June 04, 2006, 07:48:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

June 04, 2006, 07:48:41 am Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 09:32:56 am by mikeirwin
You can forget watching any video of Mitch or any other Razorback this summer participating in the 7 on 7 workouts that are currently underway. They are all off limits to reporters, cameras and fans. This is not a U of A decision. It's an NCAA move.
The NCAA is warning member institutions that they've always considered new players recruitable athletes (even after they signed letters of intent) until they actually enroll at the start of the academic year.
That means newcomers like Mitch, Damian and even Sonny Weems must be treated like recruits. No contact with the media or fans is allowed unless it is off campus.
As was explained to me yesterday by Kevin Trainor you fans CANNOT come by the summer workouts and watch. If you do that you put the U of A at risk of an NCAA violation.
It is interestng however that Houston Nutt was allowed to discuss Mitch with reporters at the just completed SEC meetings. If Mitch is considered a recruitable athlete by the NCAA then a coach talking about him should be a violation. Of course it is nothing new to have the NCAA interpret it's own rules to suit it's own purposes.
We're taking about an organization that just told Catawba College it could no longer be called the Catawba Indians. It has to be called the Catawba Catawba Indians.
The NCAA is now teaching us to stutter.

MDW

This is just stupid, of course.  But that's nothing new where the NCAA is concerned.

I don't see how you can hold institutions accountable if fans stop by to watch or a TV station films some of the workouts.  KNWA showed Damian Williams and Andrew Norman working on the practice fields with some of the returning players a few days ago, so I guess we've already had a violation.

brooks74

The NCAA has some of most ridculous rules.  I can understand not being able to talk about recruits during the recruiting process, but to not be able to talk about them or interview them when they have signed their LOI's and are enrolled in summer school on campus is just stupid.  Sounds like a bunch of book smart people that are completely out of touch with reality!

forrest city joe

Mike the Ncaa can not tell the media what to cover. the U of A, has nothing to do with what your station covers. this would never stand up in court. you cant punish a school for what the media reports.PERIOD!

mikeirwin

June 04, 2006, 09:51:55 am #4 Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 10:05:17 am by mikeirwin
Joe, I agree with you. The NCAA has no direct power over me or any other reporter. But they do have the ability to punish the school.
Plus they can and will target specific media outlets that violate their rules.
I know of a local station in this TV market that was denied credentials to the 1995 Final Four for violating the NCAA's rules regarding live reporting at regional tournaments.
As for whether it would stand up in court the NCAA has lost some lawsuits lately. However they put about 100 million dollars into their legal war chest every year from money derived from the CBS NCAA basketball Tournament contract.
You can sue them but they have some VERY deep pockets.

FLKeysGuy

How is it that the NCAA can categorize a currently enrolled scholarship athlete as a recruit?  Mitch, Damian, and Andrew are all enrolled at the U of A attending classes right now.  All three of them are having their tuition, room, and board paid via a football scholarship.  How in the hell can they be considered recruits now?

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on June 04, 2006, 10:08:00 am
How is it that the NCAA can categorize a currently enrolled scholarship athlete as a recruit?  Mitch, Damian, and Andrew are all enrolled at the U of A attending classes right now.  All three of them are having their tuition, room, and board paid via a football scholarship.  How in the hell can they be considered recruits now?

Maybe it has something to do with that recent new rule.  The one where a college athlete that has completed his undergrad work can go to any grad school and play if he has eligibility left.  Tommy Tuberville said that rule may start recruiting battles for COLLEGE athletes.
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

Member #:  9524

Swino

June 04, 2006, 10:24:47 am #7 Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 10:26:51 am by Swino

Because Mitch and Damien can still enroll at another college for the fall semester and have 4/5 years of eligibility. 

mikeirwin

June 04, 2006, 10:28:01 am #8 Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 10:29:46 am by mikeirwin
Yes.
It has to do with the fact that their 5 year eligibility clock doesn't start until they enroll in the fall.
As I understand it they could still transfer to another school and not lose any eligibility after sitting out for a year.
So because they can transfer and not lose any eligibility they are considered recruitable athletes or "recruits" under their rules.
But this interpretation is full of holes. Mitch and the other freshmen here for the summer are on scholarship right now. They are not paying room and board. THE NCAA DOES NOT ALLOW SCHOOL TO PAY RECRUITS.
So if they are really are still recruits the school is breaking the rules by providing room and board.
But of course the NCAA is making an exception to that part of the rule.
They can do that, you know, make exceptions so everything fits together in their wacky world of complicated compliance and non compliance.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Swino on June 04, 2006, 10:24:47 am

Because Mitch and Damien can still enroll at another college for the fall semester and have 4/5 years of eligibility. 

How would that work?  Let's say that Mitch, Damian, and Andrew all decided to transfer to another school this fall.  Does the U of A football program just "eat" the money that was spent over the summer to pay the boys' tuition, room and board without the boys having to be held accountable in any way?

Swino

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on June 04, 2006, 10:31:04 am
Quote from: Swino on June 04, 2006, 10:24:47 am

How would that work?  Let's say that Mitch, Damian, and Andrew all decided to transfer to another school this fall.  Does the U of A football program just "eat" the money that was spent over the summer to pay the boys' tuition, room and board without the boys having to be held accountable in any way?

I have no idea and I'm sure that the NCAA hasn't thought about that.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 04, 2006, 07:48:41 am
You can forget watching any video of Mitch or any other Razorback this summer participating in the 7 on 7 workouts that are currently underway. They are all off limits to reporters, cameras and fans. This is not a U of A decision. It's an NCAA move.
The NCAA is warning member institutions that they've always considered new players recruitable athletes (even after they signed letters of intent) until they actually enroll at the start of the academic year.
That means newcomers like Mitch, Damian and even Sonny Weems must be treated like recruits. No contact with the media or fans is allowed unless it is off campus.
As was explained to me yesterday by Kevin Trainor you fans CANNOT come by the summer workouts and watch. If you do that you put the U of A at risk of an NCAA violation.
It is interestng however that Houston Nutt was allowed to discuss Mitch with reporters at the just completed SEC meetings. If Mitch is considered a recruitable athlete by the NCAA then a coach talking about him should be a violation. Of course it is nothing new to have the NCAA interpret it's own rules to suit it's own purposes.
We're taking about an organization that just told Catawba College it could no longer be called the Catawba Indians. It has to be called the Catawba Catawba Indians.

Hey Mike, what if a "fan" has a "pre-existing relationship" with a "recruitable athlete" who is currently enrolled in classes at the U of A?  Would this "fan" be allowed to watch the practices?  What about the boys' parents?  Are they allowed to watch?  Is there ANYONE asking the NCAA for clarification on this issue?

polpot!

June 04, 2006, 10:48:49 am #12 Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 11:49:17 am by polpot!
we still get to watch JoJo and the other cats? Mitch, Damian and company are the only ones off limits? 

mikeirwin

For several years the NCAA took a hardline approach on summer workouts. They insisted they had to be totally voluntary. No pressure could be applied by the coaches. The kids had to pay their own way and they could not use the facilities with any coaches or staff members around.
The only exception was conditioning. There could be a staff member around to supervise conditioning.
So what happened ?
A kid died because there was no trainer around during conditioning drills.
So now the NCAA is realizing that it has to do something because of "liability" issues.
The kids now can now be on scholarship. They can have a trainer around. They can use the weight room with a supervisor present.
Supposedly this "no media contact" stuff has been a rule all along. Schools just didn't understand it.

CiriusPorker

Does Freedom of the Press not mean anything anymore???

Mike, if they're going to enforce this, then maybe you should regularly invite the new guys to an interview at an off-campus location....

mikeirwin

June 04, 2006, 11:03:26 am #15 Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 11:07:24 am by mikeirwin
Quote from: FLKeysGuy on June 04, 2006, 10:48:39 am

Hey Mike, what if a "fan" has a "pre-existing relationship" with a "recruitable athlete" who is currently enrolled in classes at the U of A?  Would this "fan" be allowed to watch the practices?  What about the boys' parents?  Are they allowed to watch?  Is there ANYONE asking the NCAA for clarification on this issue?
A member of this board was attempting to call the NCAA last Friday. He never got back to me. The guy is a notorious goof off so he's probably been fishing all weekend.  ;D
I never talk to the NCAA, or I haven't in many years. I have complete contempt for the organization and honestly I can't have a conversation with anyone associated with it without getting angry.
The last time I talked with an NCAA rep was the night one of them made John McDonnell go outside the Tyson Track Center in 15 degree weather in order to tape an interview for me after Arkansas had won the NCAA Indoor Championship.
Even Rick Schaeffer was mad at the guy and Rick never gets mad at anybody.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: CiriusPorker on June 04, 2006, 10:58:36 am
Does Freedom of the Press not mean anything anymore???

Mike, if they're going to enforce this, then maybe you should regularly invite the new guys to an interview at an off-campus location....

OR... maybe our media should conduct espionage by airing film of summer workouts of every team on our schedule. 8)

Hugehogsfan

This is just the NCAA flexing their weakling muscle around again.  I agree that someone needs to stand up to them, but Mike is right when he says that you have a very long uphill battle.  What we need is the entire nation of college football and basketball fans to stand up and say we won't take this kind of crap anymore only when they think that their precious tv packages are in danger will they change. 

Nutts and Bolts

"No contact with the media or fans is allowed unless it is off campus".

That is the key phrase... Why don't the guys get organized this summer and go over to Fayetteville High Stadium (about two blocks away) and run pass skells all day long? Is THAT a violation?
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

The Pulse

NCAA = Rain on everybody's parade

Nutts and Bolts

and i agree with Mike, The power schools in Division 1 need to dump (and they can) the NCAA as a controlling power and create something different.  Someone needs to sit down and come up with a NEW plan and publically present it to about the top 50 Universities.  The NCAA has just gotten too big for theit britches.  Mike, i do not mean to put words in your mouth and you may disagree with part of this but I put it in my own words...
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

wildhogman

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 04, 2006, 09:51:55 am
Joe, I agree with you. The NCAA has no direct power over me or any other reporter. But they do have the ability to punish the school.
Plus they can and will target specific media outlets that violate their rules.
I know of a local station in this TV market that was denied credentials to the 1995 Final Four for violating the NCAA's rules regarding live reporting at regional tournaments.
As for whether it would stand up in court the NCAA has lost some lawsuits lately. However they put about 100 million dollars into their legal war chest every year from money derived from the CBS NCAA basketball Tournament contract.
You can sue them but they have some VERY deep pockets.
Mike, at one time the tobacco industry had those very deep pockets as well, but after enough lawsuits they found out the pockets can be poked ful of holes. Maybe you can stop the NCAA like crime, one bite at a time, each bite widdling away at those pockets.
I have no desire to see College Football become professional in so much as paying players and the school with most money wins. But something has to be done about the insanity called NCAA rules. There has to be a level playing field, where a team like Ark who over paid players to the tune of a few hundred dollars is not slapped back to the stone age for a few years, while a school like texas of usc does lots worse and gets a slap on the wrist.
Too bad the UA cannot sue all the coaches who told recruits we were getting bowl and TV bans a few years ago. That would stop some nonsense.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 04, 2006, 11:03:26 am

A member of this board was attempting to call the NCAA last Friday. He never got back to me. The guy is a notorious goof off so he's probably been fishing all weekend.  ;D
I never talk to the NCAA, or I haven't in many years. I have complete contempt for the organization and honestly I can't have a conversation with anyone associated with it without getting angry.
The last time I talked with an NCAA rep was the night one of them made John McDonnell go outside the Tyson Track Center in 15 degree weather in order to tape an interview for me after Arkansas had won the NCAA Indoor Championship.

You know it has to be something bad before Rick gets mad.

PulledPork

I say we get this guy to go through the "rule book" and give us a "Cliff Notes" version we can understand!

Pulled out...

The Pulse

June 04, 2006, 04:01:09 pm #24 Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 09:48:41 pm by The Pulse
Quote from: polpot! on June 04, 2006, 10:48:49 am
we still get to watch JoJo and the other cats? Mitch, Damian and company are the only ones off limits? 

ahh haaa!! Loop Hole. Set up the cameras! We won't be wacthing Mitch and damian during the drills, just the other varsity players who just so happen to be participating in the drills too.

If they can make an exception on the giving players money part (paying for room and board), why can't they make an exception on watching them practice?? Makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever.

PulledPork

this may have already been asked, but, what's all the secrecy about them practicing?  Am I not seeing the "forest for the trees"?

Pulled out...

TulsaHogFan

So Your telling me i can't even go watch on my own?  What happens if i accidentally drive by?  Do i have to turn my head and hold my breath in hopes the NCAA does not fine the U of A?

This is absolutly outrageous.

The University can not be held liable for people unrelated to it.

stan the man

Brutalis

I just wanna figure out if Mitch will be our QB this year. Is that so baaaaaaaaaad.
God, please let the my Hogs be just half as good as my Spurs. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh meeennnnnnnnnnn

mikeirwin

Matt Shanklin who does marketing for the Razorbacks gave an explanantion that at least made some sense to me.
Apparently all along there have been three seperate kinds of athletes in the NCAA's eyes...
1. Recruits-They have not signed a letter of intent.
2. Recruitable athletes-They have signed but their eligibility has not started.
3. Student athletes-They have signed and their eligibility has started.

The incoming freshmen and JUCO transfers are recruitable athletes. The NCAA has rules last prevents contact on campus between recruitable athletes and the fans and media.

I still can't figure out why this was not known to any of the Arkansas SID people until now.

BILLYBOB

Seriously, I don't understand why the SEC, The Big 12, The Big Ten, and the Pac-10, don't tell the NCAA to take a hike and go out and start a new College Football League.  Those four conferances are 90% of what matters in college football and they could structure a new TV contract, WITH A PLAYOFF SYSTEM, that would increase revenue to all the member schools.

And no worries about getting the best players; in the new systeem the players could make a small standarized salary for their work.  That only seems fair since they are the ones putting their bodies on the line.

The current system is simply stupid and makes no sense.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

Oklahawg

And, if the University hosts their workouts they are complicit in any (illegal) contact between media or boosters and the recruitable athletes.

Any chance the NCAA's spin on this is that they don't want a UA fan showing up at Okie State this summer and telling Myron McKinney that things sure look grim, but that Mustain and Co look like all they are advertised to be? That is, you would have illegal recruiting of players technically signed and sealed but still a long semester away from being delivered.

The problem becomes the scenario described above:  How do you dissect the issue if Casey Dick is on film throwing to Damian Williams who is covered by Chris Houston?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HatfieldHog

As bad as I hate to say it, Bobby Knight had the best idea when it comes to dealing with the NCAA.  He said that the top 100 colleges ought to pull out of the NCAA, and start their own Athletic cooperative.

If serious talks about that began, the NCAA would try to change it's tune in how it deals with member schools.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

SwinedMelon

If they are still recruitable athletes then what the hell is a LOI for?
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 04, 2006, 08:38:51 pm
Matt Shanklin who does marketing for the Razorbacks gave an explanantion that at least made some sense to me.
Apparently all along there have been three seperate kinds of athletes in the NCAA's eyes...
1. Recruits-They have not signed a letter of intent.
2. Recruitable athletes-They have signed but their eligibility has not started.
3. Student athletes-They have signed and their eligibility has started.

The incoming freshmen and JUCO transfers are recruitable athletes. The NCAA has rules last prevents contact on campus between recruitable athletes and the fans and media.

I still can't figure out why this was not known to any of the Arkansas SID people until now.

If Andrew, Damian, and Mitchell are currently students enrolled in classes at the U of A and everything is being paid by a football scholarship, why wouldn't they be considered "student athletes" now?

mikeirwin

Because their eligibility clock has not started and won't until they start working out in August with coaches present.

Sao Ming

Well, a smart few would fan out across the country to say, USC, Vandy, Bama, Auburn (see the pattern) and find all of these "on campus workouts" featuring thier incoming athletes.  One could start a small stir and alert the "authorities" that they witnessed some workouts...and even filmed during them.  Let's get crackin' and take some programs down on this.  I venture to guess the NCAA would not throw the book at the schools...or would they?  Book your flights. 

ClubChubby

Quote from: PulledPork on June 04, 2006, 04:03:06 pm
this may have already been asked, but, what's all the secrecy about them practicing?  Am I not seeing the "forest for the trees"?

Pulled out...

Manna from heaven for houston. He doesn't want anyone at practices. He doesn't want anyone to speak to his players. How did houston make this happen?

reddogfan

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 04, 2006, 11:00:41 pm
Because their eligibility clock has not started and won't until they start working out in August with coaches present.
But they would not yet be taking classes when the August workouts begin.  So, when does their eligability actually begin?  If they left and enrolled in another school after the LOI, they lose one year.  If they leave after they are considered a student athlete, they can be penalized two years.  If they begin workouts the first week of August, but they have not yet begun classes, are they technically "student-athletes" vs. recruitable athletes.
I don't see how you can say a guy, who has signed his LOI, is a "recruitable athlete."  Other schools are not allowed to contact these players and recruit them...that, I believe, is a violation.  So who exactly are they "recruitable" by.

Feralhog

Quote from: reddogfan on June 05, 2006, 06:00:55 am
But they would not yet be taking classes when the August workouts begin.  So, when does their eligability actually begin?  If they left and enrolled in another school after the LOI, they lose one year.  If they leave after they are considered a student athlete, they can be penalized two years.  If they begin workouts the first week of August, but they have not yet begun classes, are they technically "student-athletes" vs. recruitable athletes.
I don't see how you can say a guy, who has signed his LOI, is a "recruitable athlete."  Other schools are not allowed to contact these players and recruit them...that, I believe, is a violation.  So who exactly are they "recruitable" by.

An organization that equates naming your team after a heritage or people like the Seminoles, to a school calling their team something as vile as the Nazi's or the "N" word, indicates that that they are completely out of touch with reality.  Is it any surprise they'd talk from both sides of their mouth when it comes to recruits?  I would assume they are doing this to reduce the member schools liability during voluntary workouts, which makes tons more sense than say, allowing coaches and staff with medical personnel to oversee the workouts.  It makes you wonder if the NCAA can be trusted to fulfill it's role in protecting and serving the interests of the schools and it's athletes?
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

hogfan13

Chappeee

I agree with Brooks 74 (second post on this topic).  The NCAA has the most ridiculous rules.  Roy Williams was talking the other night about how he couldn't buy a wedding gift for a player that played for him at Kansas 15 years ago.  What's up with that?

Wooisme

Sooooo.......

As "recruitable athletes", Arkansas fans aren't supposed to watch 'em.  Arkansas media is not supposed to interview or tape 'em.

How about (LOL) Florida fans, media, & coaches?  As "recruitable athletes" are they....recruitable???? 

With folks like this (NCAA) "running the show" it's amazing that games are held at all....
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

mikeirwin

As I understand it their eligibility clock starts at the begnining of the first workout in August.

Downhill Hog

What I can not believe is that they are considered recruits when the state of Arkansas has started to pay for their education........... Once they enrol in class, are provided housing and food the state (we) are paying for their education!!!!

Do you think Jimmy Clausens hiring of a PR firm to handle hiw image prompted this?

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Downhill Hog on June 05, 2006, 05:06:50 pm
What I can not believe is that they are considered recruits when the state of Arkansas has started to pay for their education........... Once they enrol in class, are provided housing and food the state (we) are paying for their education!!!!

Do you think Jimmy Clausens hiring of a PR firm to handle hiw image prompted this?

What i am shocked is, how can someone interview them right after signing their LOI or how can coaches discuss them if their status does not change until August workouts.

Extra Point

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 04, 2006, 10:28:01 am
THE NCAA DOES NOT ALLOW SCHOOL TO PAY RECRUITS.

Well, that is debatable.  Athletes get "stipends", or as working folks call them, "paychecks".  In talking to a student-athlete this weekend, I was astounded by how much some of these are each month for athletes living off campus.  I don't know if they all get the same, but the one I do know is getting a VERY nice check each month.

Extra Point

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 05, 2006, 04:41:32 pm
As I understand it their eligibility clock starts at the begnining of the first workout in August.

That can't be correct for all athletes.  What about guys who graduate HS early to participate in spring practice?

Extra Point

Quote from: Downhill Hog on June 05, 2006, 05:06:50 pm

The "state" is paying their tuition?  I don't think so.  These are in-state kids whose tuition is paid for by the athletic dept. donations and revenue.  The "state" has nothing to do with this.

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on June 04, 2006, 01:31:07 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on June 04, 2006, 11:03:26 am

You know it has to be something bad before Rick gets mad.
Rick has Never got mad at the smoke draw..Or losing...Hummmm
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?