Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC and others in the Dance

Started by The Truth, March 15, 2006, 12:48:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Truth

Outside our beloved Natural State, there's a lot of talk about Bucknell beating Arkansas, about Alabama and Kentucky going out in the first round, even some murmurs that Winthrop might sneak up on the Vols. Sweat, Bruce, sweat!

Meanwhile, Hogville is full of true believers in the SEC (and who the hell's BUCKNELL, anyhow?) who don't doubt that the mighty Razorbacks will draw from our long tradition and huge fan base to squash these bugs, er, Bison. The talking heads on ESPN seem to be giving all their love to the ACC and Big East, and some of us get a bellyache watching all those highlights of JJ Redick and Rudy--ha, ha!--Rudy Gay. Just hearing the Yankee accents of Krzyzewski and Jim Calhoun is obnoxioius to some born-and-bred Hogs.

WPS, I say, and bring on Memphis, too. Let's see how Calipari, in those sharskin loafers, handles a roll in the slop and mud.

But THE TRUTH, in case a few of you are interested, is that the SEC has been pitiful in recent NCAA tournaments. Sorry to trouble Dixie pride with something as Yankee-fied as INFORMATION, but let's be honest. The Big East and ACC have earned the respect they get, dominating the field and winning the last 5 NCAA Championships:

2005 UNC
2004 UConn
2003 Syracuse
2002 Maryland
2001 Duke

The SEC's last Final Four team was Florida in 2000. Since then, the ACC has had 7 Final Four Teams. The Big East, as recently reconfigured to add Marquette and Louisville, can count 4. The Big Ten has 6 (including 2000 national champ Michigan State), the Big Twelve 5.

It's true that ESPN is in Connecticut. So is the odds-on favorite for this year's NCAA championship. It's true that ESPN gives tons of love to Duke and Carolina. It's also true that those two teams have both won the NCAAs this decade. As for the SEC, it's been too long. Time to stop whining, stop clinging to the Good Old Days, and win some games in the twenty-first century.

GO HOGS!
The Truth hurts.

Hog1751

I see the SEC going like this...
Arkansas 2-1
Alabama 1-1
Kentucky 1-1
Tennessee 2-1
Florida 4-1
LSU 2-1 Thats an overall record of 12-6, with 3 sweet 16 teams and 1 Final Four team, isn't it very interesting that the decline of Razorbacks Basketball correlates with the decline of the SEC's sucess. Im telling you I really think when the Hogs are good everyone else is better by default. I think the SEC starts the long climb back this year and I think we have a National Champion in the next 2-3 years with a Final Four team every year. I really think the SEC is quite underratted this year and we will prove it in the tourney, just my opinion I could be wrong.

tophawg19

you got things about right . it's time for the SEC to rise again and i hope we can be the team to lead them .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

pbjones81

I think the majority is still thinking the SEC is in a down year.  I dont know whether it is or not, but here's to hoping we break the trend of a one and done for the SEC

Hog1751

I don't think were as down as everyone thinks, were very evenly matched from 1-6, we don't have a standout superstar team, but I like our chances in the Dance and I think we'll prove a few wrong. I would say that Arkansas, Tennessee, and LSU are programs on the rise, although I think Tennessee takes a step back next year. I think Florida is staying about where it has been. Alabama is on its way down. I dont know what the hell is going on with Kentucky. Vandy, USC, Auburn are about par for the course. I see Georgia getting a little better, MSU will get better. If Ole Miss hires the right coach they could come out very good.

tophawg19

msu could be dangerous . they are very young . i think we will slide back some because i don't see brewer returning .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

wincrimson

How is Alabama on it's way down? Dude, we've been to 5 straight tourneys and have advanced to the 2nd round with the probably the worst of the 5 to recently go dancing.

Steele, Davidson, Gee, and Hendrix are back next season. So, how are we "on the way down?"

Franks and Beans

I see the SEC being very strong in the next few years. SC and Vandy will be improved and MSU will really surprise some folks next season. Arkansas, LSU, Florida, Tenn., KY will again be the horses for the conference with only Ole Miss being terrible.
Life Long Hog Fan

wincrimson

Kodiak

Quote from: wincrimson on March 16, 2006, 08:38:40 pm
How is Alabama on it's way down? Dude, we've been to 5 straight tourneys and have advanced to the 2nd round with the probably the worst of the 5 to recently go dancing.

Steele, Davidson, Gee, and Hendrix are back next season. So, how are we "on the way down?"

Because Alabama is the arm pit of the Northern Hemisphere!
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!