Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cornbread in a cast-iron skillet

Started by UAbandalum, January 17, 2006, 08:00:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UAbandalum

I've been told I've never had good cornbread until I've had it made in a cast-iron skillet.  Can anyone confirm this?

Forgive me for not having had this before now - I was *SO* deprived as a child  :D

Seriously, I hear it's excellent.  Just wanted everyone else's take on it.

prairiehog

That is the only way I cook it! You have to heat up the grease in the skillet before you put the buttermilk mix in.  :P

ColinRagan

I say it ain't cornbread unless it is cooked in a cast iron skillet.  You do have to heat the grease in the skillet first though.  That way you get a nice crispy crust on the outside.  Bacon grease is the best.

Lanny

No such thing as cornbread unless it's made in a Cast Iron Skillet.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

abq

Jim Harris

Quote from: UAbandalum on January 17, 2006, 08:00:35 am
I've been told I've never had good cornbread until I've had it made in a cast-iron skillet. Can anyone confirm this?

Forgive me for not having had this before now - I was *SO* deprived as a child :D

Seriously, I hear it's excellent. Just wanted everyone else's take on it.

that is correct, you've never had corn bread until you've had it from a well-seasoned cast iron skillet.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

T-hawg

HOT WATER CORNBREAD   

2 c. plain meal
1 qt. boiling water
1 tsp. salt
1 c. vegetable oil or solid
1 smooth cooking iron skillet

Put meal in medium bowl. Add salt and then add water gradually until mixture is mixed well, but not too thin. May not need all water. Heat grease in skillet when grease is hot. Spoon bread in skillet, let brown well before turning. Cook on medium heat. Very good southern recipe.

This is a recipe that takes practice. Luckily the ingredients do not cost much, so it can be mastered for a little amount of money. This is a recipe that my grandmother game me. Hope you like it.  :razorback:
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

abq

Quote from: thog on January 19, 2006, 06:30:08 pm
HOT WATER CORNBREAD   

2 c. plain meal
1 qt. boiling water
1 tsp. salt

Put meal in medium bowl. Add salt and then add water gradually until mixture is mixed well, but not too thin. May not need all water. Heat grease in skillet when grease is hot. Spoon bread in skillet, let brown well before turning. Cook on medium heat. Very good southern recipe.

This is a recipe that takes practice. Luckily the ingredients do not cost much, so it can be mastered for a little amount of money. This is a recipe that my grandmother game me. Hope you like it. :razorback:

Thanks! Have to try that with some gumbo this weekend.

HairyHog

January 21, 2006, 09:14:17 pm #8 Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 09:17:34 pm by HairyHog
If it isn't made in a cast iron skillet, it is Yankee cornbread.

My wife always uses a small amout of plain flour. 

Don't forget the Cane Syrup.

Snort and Squeal

Even better, crumble the bacon up and put it into the mix along with Jalapenos if you like spice.  It is the Shiznit...
Is it any coincidence that we bleed red???  I think not!

PigsEye

January 31, 2006, 01:03:15 pm #10 Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 01:04:47 pm by PigsEye
Quote from: thog on January 19, 2006, 06:30:08 pm
HOT WATER CORNBREAD   

2 c. plain meal
1 qt. boiling water
1 tsp. salt

This is a recipe that takes practice. Luckily the ingredients do not cost much, so it can be mastered for a little amount of money. This is a recipe that my grandmother game me. Hope you like it.  :razorback:

Do you use self rising or do you add baking powder/soda?  Seems like that would be one flat pan of cornbread.

My cornbread recipe:
BTW, I don't use measuring cups, so this is an estimate.
2 cups self rising yellow cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sweet milk
1/8 cup oil
1 egg 
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Mix it all together.
I adjust the milk as needed to get a consistency slightly thinner than cake batter. 
While you're mixing, put a pat of bacon grease in your cast iron, turn the oven on 350 and put the skillet in to preheat as the oven preheats.  When preheated, remove skillet and swirl the grease around.  If the mix doesn't sizzle when you pour it in, you didn't heat the skillet long enough.  Keep that in mind for the next time.  I usually cook mine about 30 minutes.

I have some variations.  I've got some ground Hatch chile that I'll throw in sometimes.
I rarely use all buttermilk with no sweet milk, I don't like the consistency.  I'd rather use buttermilk self-rising mix and all sweet milk versus all buttermilk.
If I'm making the cornbread for cornbread dressing, I'll substitute 1/4 cup flour for 1/4 cup meal and use 2 eggs.

The best, if you have one, is the cast iron skillet that make sticks of cornbread that look like ears of corn.  You can get the right crunch on the bottom and the right insides everytime.

T-hawg

I like mine dense. It is Fluffy but it also doesnt fall apart easy.
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

UAbandalum

I'll give these a whirl - thanks guys - my mouth is watering just reading these recipes! :)

Swino

I'll throw mine in as well

2 cups white corn meal mix
1/4 cup of oil
1 cup of shredded sharp chedder cheese
1-4 Tablespoons of diced jalapeno's
1 & a 1/3 cup of milk
1 egg
1 small can of cream style corn

first, put the oil in the skillet and insert into oven.  THEN turn the oven on to 425. 
The oven and oil need to preheat for 9 minutes.  While the oven is preheating, put the ingredients into a bowl and mix together.  don't start mixing until the all ingredients are in the bowl.  After mixed, pull the skillet out of the oven and quickly pour into the bowl containing the other ingredients.  Give it a quick stir and pour into the frying pan. 
Cook for 25-30 minutes.

Jimmy

Ditto on the seasoned cast iron skillet, white corn meal and buttermilk.  That thick, sweet, cakey stuff in an aluminum pan is yankee johnny cake.  It was the cause of the Civil War.

MizK

I like it both ways!! So does that make me a Southern Yankee?

I have to admit--it tastes best when its made in a iron skillet and crumbled over a nice big bowl of beans! Yum!
Quote from: Wildhog on April 01, 2011, 05:28:33 pm
You're in the tavern, bro.  It's like Thunderdome.

Quote from: Fort Dweller on November 09, 2011, 10:00:46 pm
Pay attention XHOG.  this is that wrath I was telling you about.  The wrath of MizK.

yeahfairly

Once you're addicted to the Cast Iron Skillet cornbread, go and buy yourself a Dutch Oven and a bag of charcoal! Learning to cook in the Dutch oven is easy and it makes everything taste sooooo much better! Hint for the cornbread...... add some pork crackilings!

HedgeDweller

Two absolutes you MUST use:

Cast iron skillet
Bacon grease

No sugar unless you want to call it 'cake' instead of 'cornbread'.
I actually prefer the yellow cornmeal, but either one will do as long as no sugar is involved....

DeltaBoy

Yes sir it is great!  Get cornbread mix and follow the instructions on the box. Grease skillet well and pour in mix into preheated oven and follow the cooking recommendations.  I have also fixed it this way on the stove top you cover it with a cast iron lid and cook on med heat checking regularly until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Make sure you have a seasoned skillet the older and blacker the better!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

maniax22bolts20

Quote from: yeahfairly on September 30, 2006, 03:53:59 am
Once you're addicted to the Cast Iron Skillet cornbread, go and buy yourself a Dutch Oven and a bag of charcoal! Learning to cook in the Dutch oven is easy and it makes everything taste sooooo much better! Hint for the cornbread...... add some pork crackilings!
cracklin bread is good if made right. Ever had fry bread ? real cooked pork sausage/bacon and purple hull peas added to the cast iron skillet cornbread recipie are a taste wonder.

DeltaBoy

Boys it is a good weekend to have some good hot Cornbread!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

PigPusher

Had a young lady waitress almost throw up when we asked for milk so we could have cornbread and milk.  She was from Michigan.

Cornbread and milk with diced green onions.  Yummy!
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PigPusher on January 17, 2007, 02:00:30 pm
Had a young lady waitress almost throw up when we asked for milk so we could have cornbread and milk.  She was from Michigan.

Stop it your making me Hungery!

DeltaBoy

J. Green

I add a can of corn (drained) and a can of rotel to the mix ... pour half of it in the skillet.. then add a layer of sliced cheese.... then cover the cheese with the remaining cornbread mix... after ya cook it, let it set for a spell to set the cheese back up .. excellent..

V. V. Hawg

Quote from: TaintNuttinToIt on January 17, 2006, 12:28:09 pm
can't help, i've never had it when it wasn't baked in a cast iron skillet.

Me either.  Sorry

PigPusher

Going to try the iron skillet thing tonight. Can't wait.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

HogBaptist

my grandfather loves it.  he's in a nursing home, but when we go to see him, we always bring him a few slices of cornbread.

Dr. Hogenstein

That is exactly what my granny, dad, and uncles used to do.  the cornbread was made in the cast-iron skillet.  Then they would crumble it into a glass and pour milk or buttermilk over it and eat it with a spoon.  I thought it was weird when I was a kid but man is it good.

go hogues

How do they make it at cock of the walk?  That's my favorite cornbread.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

PigPusher

Quote from: PigPusher on April 23, 2008, 11:38:09 am
Going to try the iron skillet thing tonight. Can't wait.

Well we did in fact try it last night and we loved that crust on the bottom.  Did have one question though.  We cooked ours at 350. Would it be better at a higher temp?

DeltaBoy

Three-Fifty is all the heat you need.

SteveInArk

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 25, 2008, 12:05:24 pm
Three-Fifty is all the heat you need.

That's where my mom cooked her's (350 deg)... she is long gone to a better place, but my wife and I use her old cast iron skillet all the time...  the one I remember growing up... good cornbread.  Unfortunely, better appreciated now more than back then...  some of us learn things late in life!
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

hawgfandude

Quote from: Jimmy on September 29, 2006, 11:59:54 am
Ditto on the seasoned cast iron skillet, white corn meal and buttermilk.  That thick, sweet, cakey stuff in an aluminum pan is yankee johnny cake.  It was the cause of the Civil War.

LMAO

hawgfandude

Quote from: yeahfairly on September 30, 2006, 03:53:59 am

You have never had cobbler until you have cobbler made in a Dutch oven.

PigPusher

May 01, 2008, 02:43:15 pm #35 Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:05:53 pm by PigPusher
Quote from: hawgfandude on April 29, 2008, 10:39:17 am
You have never had cobbler until you have cobbler made in a Dutch oven.

Or an iron skillet??