Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best cuts of meat for grilling at tailgate?

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, December 09, 2005, 06:06:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I like the traditional brats and burgers, but I am a little burned out on that.  I am going to a specialty meat market.  Any suggestions on types/cuts I should get?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

mikeb

Porterhouse, filet mignon, KC/NY strip or T- bone............get them in Prime or special select USDA.........Drink a porter, Ale or stout beer with the porterhouse. Do Not marinade the Filet Mignon and avoid overcooking. Marinade the strips or T-bone in whatever you want I like mine with a kick makes the beer taste better. ;)

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Porquemada

Give basashi or paard a try, though it's better smoked.

T-hawg

Take some Johnsonville brats. Put them in a foil pan with some Shinerbock (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE). Bring to a boil and let cook for 10 min. Then move the brats to the grill till they get the right color for your liking. Put in a brat bun (not a damn hot dog bun, i hate to see folks do that) and some spicy mustard with some sauteed purple onions and bell peppers.     There is no way in hell that you can tell me that you could get tired of that!!!

That is mothers milk boys! That is eating in HOG HEAVEN! Ask around the board, I know what I'm talking about.
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Ugly Uncle

Okay, Notshav., hogsrmyfav, and I tailgated at the Cowboys game sunday.  We had the beer brats, dry rubbed ribs, steaks, grilled corn on the cob.  You guys really helped us out.  I still haven't eaten since sunday...great time great day.  Thanks for all of you guys and your help.  We had a big Razorback tent, chairs out there.  We had several hog fans stop by and talk.  Can't go anywhere in the world and not run into someone that is a hogs fan.

Retired Radio Host

Porquemada

Swino

You gotta grill some Boudan, also known as cajun crack.

mikeb

Quote from: Swino on December 29, 2005, 09:49:18 am
You gotta grill some Boudan, also known as cajun crack.
I eat that 3-4 x a week during the grilling season. Wallyworlds brand is good, but I prefer the fresh Boudan from the butcher.

T-hawg

If you guys want some real good sausage, go here: http://www.cajungrocer.com/default.php?cPath=15_34

They have the best sausage I've ever eaten. mikeb, the boudan from walmart is ok, but they have too much rice in it. Try the boudan from the website I provided and tell me what you think.

mikeb

Quote from: thog on December 29, 2005, 12:11:17 pm
If you guys want some real good sausage, go here: http://www.cajungrocer.com/default.php?cPath=15_34

They have the best sausage I've ever eaten. mikeb, the boudan from walmart is ok, but they have too much rice in it. Try the boudan from the website I provided and tell me what you think.
I'll check it out thanks bro

Doyle Hograves

I got a question about the brats guys... I've seen the Johnsonville commercials that said cook them in beer. I did that once, and it was almost a disaster. The beer kept foaming up and eventually evaporated. Was I supposed to add water to the beer? Did I cook it too hot? Also, in the commercials, they say keep the brats warm in a pan with beer and buttered onions. Can somebody explain to me the correct way to fix this pan? Surely there's more to it than beer, butter, and an onion... I'm trying to learn to grill and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

T-hawg

Aight, get your notepad out. First of all the beer you use IS a big deal. I hear a lot of guys using beer that is left over from parties i.e. Milwaukee's Best, PBR, light beers. Use a beer that you would drink. I use Amber bock, Shiner bock, and any dark lager with a bold taste. It will transfer over to the brat. I don't add water to the pan, because my thinking is if you add water, then it becomes a light beer. (See above)

I usually sauté my onions and peppers in a separate skillet, but I also like to just throw them in with the brats in the beer. If I do that then I add a half stick of butter. If it foams up that is ok, the trick is when you're done with the brats in the beer, you need to transfer them to the grill directly and get a good golden burn around them.

The most important thing with brats of course is NEVER POKE and PROD THE BRATS. Love your brats when grilling and they will love you back with an angioplasty 20 years down the road.

GHG

BentonHog

thog- Thanks for the link to CajunGrocer! I have already ordered off of it this morning.  That link is just the link I have been looking for.  Awsome.  I know you didn't post it for me, but I'm glad I read your post and picked it up.  Thanks again.
"Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."             --Calvin Coolidge

T-hawg

No problem, just keep the grill hot for when I show up.

Doyle Hograves

Thanks for the info THog... Much appreciated.
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

Snort and Squeal

I know this was written 30 days ago.... but I damn near cried with Thog's post about Brats.... I could not have said it better myself.  Thanks Thog
Is it any coincidence that we bleed red???  I think not!

T-hawg

Thanks for the props Snort. If you come to the baseball tailgate in May, you already get an extra brat on your plate.

dude

It's hard to beat a good pork tenderloin on the grill. They even come pre-seasoned.

Quote from: thog on December 10, 2005, 01:23:55 am
Take some Johnsonville brats. Put them in a foil pan with some Shinerbock (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE). Bring to a boil and let cook for 10 min. Then move the brats to the grill till they get the right color for your liking. Put in a brat bun (not a damn hot dog bun, i hate to see folks do that) and some spicy mustard with some sauteed purple onions and bell peppers.     There is no way in hell that you can tell me that you could get tired of that!!!

That is mothers milk boys! That is eating in HOG HEAVEN! Ask around the board, I know what I'm talking about.

Doing this tomorrow THOG.  Thanks!

Wayne Watson

A young goat...less than a year old.  Slow cooked on the smoker.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Porquer4life

How about some farm raised Rabbit if you want a change of pace.   Very lean, healthy and DEE-LICIOUS grilled.   Locally grown in Northwest Arkansas and processed by Pel-Freez.  They've been doing this for nearly 100 years.  Enjoy !!  No, I don't work for them.

http://www.pel-freez.com/

dhornjr1

Bumping this for anyone who wants to use T-Hawg's recipe for Brats during the Super Bowl.

It's the fifth post down from the top.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

old hog

Hey T- hawg, ordered the gulf shrimp off their website. 5 Ibs. came with dry ice and was some of the freshest I've eatem here in central Arkansas. Still had that ocean taste to them. Good website. +1

old hog

Quote from: Porquer4life on June 28, 2007, 05:01:43 pm
How about some farm raised Rabbit if you want a change of pace.   Very lean, healthy and DEE-LICIOUS grilled.   Locally grown in Northwest Arkansas and processed by Pel-Freez.  They've been doing this for nearly 100 years.  Enjoy !!  No, I don't work for them.

http://www.pel-freez.com/

Been looking for some good rabbit. Beside a good steak, one of my favorite meats. thanks.

weresoclose

At the meat market, get them to cut you some pork country ribs--several pounds.  You have to marinade them overnight, but they're really unbelievable.

Here's a marinade everyone I've ever made it for loves:

1.5 c red wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic rough chopped
1 small bunch fresh oregano (leaves)
5 scallions, green and white parts rough chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and rough chopped
1 small (7 oz) can chipotles in adobo
1.5 Tbsp Sea Salt or 2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
Fresh ground black pepper

Blend together well.

While blending, slowly add:  1 cup Olive Oil

Taste for seasoning.

Marinade country ribs overnight.   Grill the next day.

MountieDawg

SEC!

hawg23

"Was like a full crowd scene at the food lines"

dhornjr1

Quote from: weresoclose on February 10, 2009, 10:26:12 am
At the meat market, get them to cut you some pork country ribs--several pounds.  You have to marinade them overnight, but they're really unbelievable.

Here's a marinade everyone I've ever made it for loves:

1.5 c red wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic rough chopped
1 small bunch fresh oregano (leaves)
5 scallions, green and white parts rough chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and rough chopped
1 small (7 oz) can chipotles in adobo
1.5 Tbsp Sea Salt or 2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
Fresh ground black pepper

Blend together well.

While blending, slowly add:  1 cup Olive Oil

Taste for seasoning.

Marinade country ribs overnight.   Grill the next day.

Y'know, that sounds damn good. I may have to try this.

DeltaBoy

Chicken Breast  with Hogville's favorite Greek seasoning.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.